Probability

lillybeth

Please help with this problem!?
thanks!
A number cube is rolled many times with the resultsshown in the table below. What is the experimental probability of rolling aneven number?
Number Rolled
Number of Rolls
44%
45%
50%
55%
What is the answer, and how do I find it?
thanks!

Last edited:
Please help with this problem!?
thanks!
A number cube is rolled many times with the resultsshown in the table below. What is the experimental probability of rolling aneven number?

Number Rolled

Number of Rolls

Are you not going to even attempt a problem by yourself? How many rolls were there, total? How many of those rolls were even?

44%
45%
50%
55%
What is the answer, and how do I find it?
thanks!

Last edited:

Are you not going to even attempt a problem by yourself? How many rolls were there, total? How many of those rolls were even?

figured it out. 55%
Can someone tell me why?
I dont really remember how to do this.

figured it out. 55%
Can someone tell me why?
Empirical probability is defined as number of successes divided by number of trials.

If "success" is an even number, 2,4,or 6, how many successes were there?

What is the total number of trials?

Take the ratio, successes/trials.

figured it out. 55%
Can someone tell me why?
Do you not know how you figured it out? Answer the questions I asked before:
"How many rolls were there, total? How many of those rolls were even?".

Last edited:
figured it out. 55%
Can someone tell me why?
Lillybeth

Getting the "right" answer is not why you learn math.

If you "figured it out," but do not know "why," then you did not really figure it out.

What math is trying to do, what all of us here are trying to do, is to teach you ways of thinking logically. Using formulas and guessing is not learning to think logically.

DrPhil and HallsOfIvy have both explained to you the general method of "empirical" probability. What you need to do is to read their responses carefully. if you do so, a formula or process for how to get the answer should come to you. What I am interested in is whether the formula makes sense to you.

What is the formula (using the numbers in your problem)? Is there any logic to that formula? What is it?

By the way, I shall be busy tomorrow morning and much of the early afternoon so I may not respond right away, but DrPhil and HallsOfIvy will keep you on the right path.