Solving Systems of Equations by Substitution

audvor16

I'm having trouble trying to even do the right work. I'm very confused on which equation I should start with or if it matter. Everytime I feel like I did it right, I look in the back of the book (which has the answers) and I get it wrong. HELP!!!IM SO FRUSTRATED! Then it's also asking to graph after I solve it.

2x-y=-3
x+y=9

Here's what I did:
-y=-2x-3
div. by -1

y=2x+3
then

x+(2x+3)=9
3x+3=9
div. by 3
x=2

y=2(2)+3
y=4+3=7

(2,7)

WOW ok so turns out I just got that one right.....haha..ha:grin:
but now I need to know how to plot the graphs of the two equations! By this do they mean the 2 equations that I started with? or the equations that I... simplified(idk if i used the right term. hopefully you know what I mean.)

I'm having trouble trying to even do the right work. I'm very confused on which equation I should start with or if it matter. Everytime I feel like I did it right, I look in the back of the book (which has the answers) and I get it wrong. HELP!!!IM SO FRUSTRATED! Then it's also asking to graph after I solve it.

2x-y=-3
x+y=9

Here's what I did:
-y=-2x-3
div. by -1

y=2x+3
then

x+(2x+3)=9
3x+3=9
div. by 3
x=2

y=2(2)+3
y=4+3=7

(2,7)

WOW ok so turns out I just got that one right.....haha..ha:grin:
but now I need to know how to plot the graphs of the two equations! By this do they mean the 2 equations that I started with? or the equations that I... simplified(idk if i used the right term. hopefully you know what I mean.)

Yes ... graph the equations you started with. Namely:

2x-y=-3
x+y=9

By the way, you should check your work by substituting the values in the equation. For example:

2x - y = 2*2 - 7 = -3 ........................checks

2 + 7 = 9 .........................................checks

Okay, so I should make both equations equal Y?

soooooo

y=2x+3
y=9-x

then
..............................x................................................... y=2x+3......................

..............................x........................................................ y=9-x.....................

Last edited:
Okay, so I should make both equations equal Y?

soooooo

y=2x+3
y=9-x

then
..............................x................................................... y=2x+3......................

..............................x........................................................ y=9-x.....................

Looks good - now plot those.....

A "linear equation" is so called because its graph is a straight line. And a straight line is determined by two points. You could, for example, have noted that, in 2x- y= -3, if x= 0 we have -y= -3 or y= 3 so one point is (0, 3) and, if y= 0, 2x= -3 so x= -3/2. Another point is (-3/2, 0). Mark those two points and draw the unique line through them. Of course, a third point, as a check, is not a bad idea.

Here's what I did:

-y=-2x-3

div. by -1 . . . This isn't stated correctly. You should get credit for this if you type something such as
"Divide each side by -1."

y=2x+3

then

x+(2x+3)=9

3x+3=9

-3 . . . The same of comment above applies here a second time. Try "Subtract 3 from each side." Or, "Add -3 to each side."

div. by 3 . . . It's the same again for a third time. Try "Divide each side by -3."

x=2

Saying or thinking something aloud isn't necessarily going to translate to correctly written steps.
You want to maximize your chances of receiving the highest number of points on a problem.

Regarding your work, I could come back with:

Divide what by -1?

Subtract 3 from what?

Divide what by 3?