Improper fraction with 1 as a denominator

MathIt

Help. How do you read/say a fraction with 1 as a denominator. Like 3/1? 6/1? I know for like for 4/2..it is four halves. For 6/3 it is six thirds. If you say 6 over 1 that doesn't sound like a fraction.

Help. How do you read/say a fraction with 1 as a denominator.

Like 3/1?three firsts

6/1? six firsts {b]I don't know if you would say "six wholes."[/b]

I know for like for 4/2..it is four halves. You could say, "four seconds."

For 6/3 it is six thirds. If you say 6 over 1 that doesn't sound like a fraction.
Edit:

n/1 ----> n wholes

n/2 ----> n halves

n/3 ----> n thirds

Last edited:
Help. How do you read/say a fraction with 1 as a denominator. Like 3/1? 6/1? I know for like for 4/2..it is four halves. For 6/3 it is six thirds. If you say 6 over 1 that doesn't sound like a fraction.
The common tongue thinks of fractions as the result of physical division. 1/2 of a pie is what you get when you cut a pie once. 1/3 of a pie is what you get when cut a pie twice. In that sense, fractions with 1 as a denominator make no sense because no cutting has occurred. 1/1 of a pie would just be referred to as a pie. So one way to say 6/1 is to say 6.

The language has simply not developed specific words that describe fractions that do not involve physical division. For those who have generalized the mathematical concept, 6 over 1 is a standard phrase that will be understood. if you are going to create a neologism that tracks the common language, you could say 6 firsts, but I fear no one would understand you.

Pronouncing integers as a fraction

It is common to pronounce 6/1 as six over one. 6/3 is six over 3.
I have also heard it called six on one. 6/3 is six on 3. (Australia)