[Trig] Double-Angle and Half-Angle

Luizzmp

I'm having a lot of problems with questions that involve double angles and half angles... Can someone help me understand how to solve two types of problems?

The first one is: ~Use the following information to find sin 2A, cos 2A, and tan 2A. cos A = 5/13, in quadrant 4.~

The second one is: ~Use the following information to find cos A/2, sin A/2, and tan A/2. There is a right triangle and the leg opposite angle A is 8 and the adjacent leg to angle A is 15.~

There are a lot of questions like these two in my homework. Can someone please tell me how to do them? I have all the formulas in my text book, but I still don't understand how to do it.

Last edited:
Use the following information to find sin 2A, cos 2A, and tan 2A. cos A = 5/13, in quadrant 4.
Apply double-angle formulas.

Use the following information to find cos A/2, sin A/2, and tan A/2. There is a right triangle and the leg opposite angle A is 8 and the adjacent leg to angle A is 15.
Use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the remaining side. Find the sine, cosine, and tangent of the angle. Then apply half-angle formulas. ;)

Apply double-angle formulas.

Use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the remaining side. Find the sine, cosine, and tangent of the angle. Then apply half-angle formulas. ;)

Can you show me where to apply the formulas though? At least for the sin in both problems and I'll figure out how to do it for cos and tan ;)

Yeah. Thats what I did first for the second problem. The Hypotenuse of the triangle is 17, so sin A= 8/17, cos A= 15/17, and tan A= 8/15... but then again, I don't know how to apply the formulas there xD :lol:

I'm having a lot of problems with questions that involve double angles and half angles... Can someone help me understand how to solve two types of problems?

The first one is: ~Use the following information to find sin 2A, cos 2A, and tan 2A. cos A = 5/13, in quadrant 4.~

If cos(A) = 5/13 → sin(A) = -12/13 → sin(2A) = 2 * sin(A) * cos(A) = ???

The second one is: ~Use the following information to find cos A/2, sin A/2, and tan A/2. There is a right triangle and the leg opposite angle A is 8 and the adjacent leg to angle A is 15.~

There are a lot of questions like these two in my homework. Can someone please tell me how to do them? I have all the formulas in my text book, but I still don't understand how to do it.

If cos(A) = 5/13 → sin(A) = -12/13 → sin(2A) = 2 * sin(A) * cos(A) = ???.

ohhh ._. I think I get it now. Thank you Subhotosh :D I'll try to do the other ones with double angles now...

Is there any chance you could show me how to do one with half angles too? ;)

Last edited:
ohhh ._. I think I get it now. Thank you Subhotosh :D I'll try to do the other ones with double angles now...

Is there any chance you could show me how to do one with half angles too? ;)

Do you know the half-angle formulae? What are those?