P = Poe KT HELP ME

emilykenobi1

Instructions: Population follows the following general form: P=P0e^(kt).

We will now use the formula to find the growth your family tree throughout the ages.
Use one set of your grandparents as the starting point. Start with the year they were married and that family size. Count the number of people of directly descending from those grandparents that are alive today. Include data chart and show calculations.
Find the unique growth formula for your grandparents. How many descendants will that set of grandparents have 150 years from today. When will your grandparents have 500,000 descendants?

My grandparents got married in 1963, 50 years ago. They didnt have any children in 1963. They have have 12 decedents now.

We will now use the formula to find the growth your family tree throughout the ages.
Use one set of your grandparents as the starting point. Start with the year they were married and that family size. Count the number of people of directly descending from those grandparents that are alive today. Include data chart and show calculations.
Find the unique growth formula for your grandparents. How many descendants will that set of grandparents have 150 years from today. When will your grandparents have 500,000 descendants?

My grandparents got married in 1963, 50 years ago. They didnt have any children in 1963. They have have 12 decedents now.

TRIPLE POST!

What have you tried so far?

So, taking t= 0 in 1963, you have P(0)= P0e^(k(0))= P0= 2. They have 12 decencendents so a total of 14 people in their "family"
P(50)= P0e^(50k)= 14. Solve that equation for k.

(Corrected typo)

Last edited:
So, taking t= 0 in 1963, you have P(0)= P0e^(k(0))= P0= 2. They have 12 decencendents so a total of 14 people in their "family"
P(60)= P0e^(50k)= 14. Solve that equation for k.

Thank you so much for helping, I'm completely lost.
I was counting them in the 14 so im guessing i should change the last number to 12. I was wondering where you got the P(60) from?

And to get k alone, what should I do first?

We know the answer - but YOU need to discover it!

For this problem, you have not done anything yet ....

Do you know what a log (or ln) function is?

Yes, we learned about it, but im having trouble applying it to this problem. The teacher didn't help us with this, just emailed it to us and that was it.

Well what is the relation of the natural log to the number e?

\(\displaystyle If\ a^b = c,\ then\ log_a(c) = what?\)

So no one knows the answer?
No, we do know the answer, and how to find it. However, that won't help you on your tests in your class. For you to succeed, you need to have some idea what you're doing.

For instance, the fact that you posted this question to the "Probability / Statistics" category suggests that you have absolutely no familiarity with this topic (exponential growth and decay, logs, the natural exponential, etc) whatsoever. Our doing one example problem for you, or even giving you the answer to this problem, won't fix that.

As suggested elsewhere, please seriously consider hiring a qualified local tutor and setting aside an hour or two a day for intensive face-to-face lessons. Your tutor will be best placed to find the gaps in your knowledge which have left you so completely unprepared for this material, and then provide you with personalized lessons to fill those holes.

With hard work and a little luck, you may be able to catch up to your class in only a few weeks. Good luck! ;)