This question is driving me insane...

CyberAndroid

Hello. So I'm doing my exam review packet in preparation for the Algebra 1 final exam, and I stumbled on a question, which I have no idea how to do. Help? here is the question: Stephan bowled 160, 180, and 215 in his first three games. What score would Stephan have to bowl in his fourth game for his 4 game average to be 180? I don't need an answer, I just need help and step by step direction on how to solve it. Thanks!

Stephan bowled 160, 180, and 215 in his first three games. What score would Stephan have to bowl in his fourth game for his 4 game average to be 180?

Beginning-algebra exercises generally indicate the unknown clearly, but I've put the indication in boldface for you above, nonetheless.

Once you have identified the unknown quantity for which a word problem asks, assign a variable symbol to represent it:

Let x = Stephan's fourth-game score

Next, you simply treat the symbol x as a number, and think about how one averages four numbers: 215, 180, 160, x

The exercise gives you the average (180), and this allows you to writing the equation posted by Denis.

If you need more help, solving for x, please show whatever work that you can (even if think it's wrong).

Cheers ~ Mark :cool: