System of Linear Equations to Resolve Room Dimensions

Kyle1984

Hi there. First time poster here!

I have a problem with an assignment question and I would love some insight into what I am missing.

The problem:

Twelve equal rectangular ceiling panels are placed in a four long by three wide grid. Each panel is 150mm longer than it is wide. Between the panels runs an edge/middle strip which totals 40.0m in total length. (This runs round the whole perimeter and between each panel). By developing a system of linear equations what are the dimensions of the room?

I have spent all day playing with this and I just can't get it. It's something silly and basic no doubt but I can't see the answer for looking at it. If anyone can help I would very much appreciate.

Thanks!

Kyle

Hi there. First time poster here!

I have a problem with an assignment question and I would love some insight into what I am missing.

The problem:

Twelve equal rectangular ceiling panels are placed in a four long by three wide grid. Each panel is 150mm longer than it is wide. Between the panels runs an edge/middle strip which totals 40.0m in total length. (This runs round the whole perimeter and between each panel). By developing a system of linear equations what are the dimensions of the room?

I have spent all day playing with this and I just can't get it. It's something silly and basic no doubt but I can't see the answer for looking at it. If anyone can help I would very much appreciate.

Thanks!

Kyle
If I am understanding this problem correctly, I see it as this:

Let width = w
Let length = l

l = w + 0.15 (Note, I changed the 150mm to meters since the perimeter is in meters. Must have the same units.)
P = 2l + 2w
P = 40

Can you take it from there?