need help finding 3rd set of coordinates to a right triangle

cja7928

Im trying to find the 3rd set of coordinates when I know the other two coordinates and I know the lengths of 2 sides - example: If I had a right triangle "a,b,c" and I know angle b is 90°, I know the length of ab is .89, I know the length of bc is .5, I know the coordinates of a are (1,7) and I know the coordinates of b are (2,3) how do I solve the coordinates of c?. thank you.

Im trying to find the 3rd set of coordinates when I know the other two coordinates and I know the lengths of 2 sides - example: If I had a right triangle "a,b,c" and I know angle b is 90°, I know the length of ab is .89, I know the length of bc is .5, I know the coordinates of a are (1,7) and I know the coordinates of b are (2,3) how do I solve the coordinates of c?. thank you.
What have you tried? We need to see your work to help where you are stuck.

Something in the problem is wrong: the distance between the given points a and b is NOT 0.89.

Do you know how to use slopes to make a line perpendicular to ab, through b?

What have you tried? We need to see your work to help where you are stuck.

Something in the problem is wrong: the distance between the given points a and b is NOT 0.89.

Do you know how to use slopes to make a line perpendicular to ab, through b?

I wasnt really sure where to start. .89 may not be correct I just sketched my example on some graph paper and it looked to be a hair under .9 No I havnt learned about slopes. is that a good place to start? thank you for your help.

Do you know how to calculate the distance between two points whose co-ordinates are (x1,y1) & (x2,y2)?

If you don't - that will be the first place to start.

If you do - calculate the distance between points A and B.

Do you know how to calculate the distance between two points whose co-ordinates are (x1,y1) & (x2,y2)?

If you don't - that will be the first place to start.

If you do - calculate the distance between points A and B.

so I came up with

√(2-1)² + (3-7)²
√(1)² + (-4)²
√1 + 16
√17

does this look correct?

thank you!

cja7928, that appears as if you just threw together an example that doesn't work.

cja7928, that appears as if you just threw together an example that doesn't work.

Correct.... I am an idiot. I did present a bad example. .89 is way off, not sure what I was thinking. It's been a long day.

ab = 4.12 bc = .5

I appreciate all the help. What is the next step to find the x,y of c?
Thanks again for your input.

First, you state that 2 sides are .5 and .89, then that other side is 4.12: that's impossible...
You need classroom help.

I probably need more than classroom help.....

Yes .89 is way off It should have been 4.12

i apologize. Thanks for your time.

Why don't you start with an easy example, say using a 3-4-5 right triangle...

I would be interested in learning how to calculate the 3rd missing set if coordinates of a right triangle using whichever example is best. The example I presented represents the triangle I need to calculate for but if there is a better way to learn I am very interested. Thank you

I would be interested in learning how to calculate the 3rd missing set if coordinates of a right triangle using whichever example is best. The example I presented represents the triangle I need to calculate for but if there is a better way to learn I am very interested. Thank you

If you are given co-ordinates of only two points (vertex) of a right angled triangle - there infinite sets points for the third vertex.

You need to post a real problem - and you need tell us the context of the problem (e.g. carpentry work, home-work from class-room) along with your capabilities (like which level of math you finished or attending).

If you are given co-ordinates of only two points (vertex) of a right angled triangle - there infinite sets points for the third vertex.

You need to post a real problem - and you need tell us the context of the problem (e.g. carpentry work, home-work from class-room) along with your capabilities (like which level of math you finished or attending).

its a right triangle abc.
point a coordinates = (1,7)
point b coordinates = (2,3)
length ab = 4.12
length bc = .5
angle b is 90°

is it not possible to calculate the coordinates for point c from the given information?

its a right triangle abc.
point a coordinates = (1,7)
point b coordinates = (2,3)
length ab = 4.12
length bc = .5
angle b is 90°

is it not possible to calculate the coordinates for point c from the given information?

Yes - it is possible, but the answer is not unique. There are two sets of solutions.

But before doing that - I need to know,

... the context of the problem (e.g. carpentry work, home-work from class-room) along with
your capabilities (like which level of math you have finished or are attending).

Yes - it is possible, but the answer is not unique. There are two sets of solutions.

But before doing that - I need to know,

Its a long story - its not related to carpentry or home work. Im trying to calculate the position 1/2" up perpendicular to an angled surface so I know where to locate a piece of equipment automatically. I know the coordinates of 2 points on that angled surface. Im affraid trying to adequately explain the situation might be confusing and lead us in circles. My math education ended at high school geometry. I unfortunately was not able to acquire a further education past high school. everything ive done thus far has been self taught but I have been unable to find the solution for this particular problem. perhaps my problem is i dont know what to search for - should I be looking for slope rather than a right triangle? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Its a long story - its not related to carpentry or home work. Im trying to calculate the position 1/2" up perpendicular to an angled surface so I know where to locate a piece of equipment automatically. I know the coordinates of 2 points on that angled surface. Im affraid trying to adequately explain the situation might be confusing and lead us in circles. My math education ended at high school geometry. I unfortunately was not able to acquire a further education past high school. everything ive done thus far has been self taught but I have been unable to find the solution for this particular problem. perhaps my problem is i dont know what to search for - should I be looking for slope rather than a right triangle? Thank you for your time.

Okay so then answers are: (2.485071,3.12168) & (1.514929, 2.878732)

It is a slightly complicated problem involving simple geometry and algebra and "nasty" arithmetic.

You'll round-off the answer, depending on how close to 0.500 you want the height(BC) to be (and how close to 90° you want that angle ABC to be).

Suppose you take those coordinates to be (2.5, 3.1) - then your height will be BC = 0.51 and the angle ABC = 87.27°.

Okay so then answers are: (2.485071,3.12168) & (1.514929, 2.878732)

It is a slightly complicated problem involving simple geometry and algebra and "nasty" arithmetic.

You'll round-off the answer, depending on how close to 0.500 you want the height(BC) to be (and how close to 90° you want that angle ABC to be).

Suppose you take those coordinates to be (2.5, 3.1) - then your height will be BC = 0.51 and the angle ABC = 87.27°.

Wow, thank you. Can you show me how you did it. I would like to learn. Thank you

Here's another method, using similarity. Consider the following diagram:

findvertex.jpg

We know then that:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\left|y-y_1 \right|}{m}=\dfrac{\left|x_1-x_2 \right|}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle \left|y-y_1 \right|=\dfrac{m}{n}\left|x_1-x_2 \right|\)

\(\displaystyle y-y_1=\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(x_1-x_2 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle y=y_1\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(x_1-x_2 \right)\)

and:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\left|x-x_1 \right|}{m}=\dfrac{\left|y_2-y_1 \right|}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle \left|x-x_1 \right|=\dfrac{m}{n}\left|y_2-y_1 \right|\)

\(\displaystyle x-x_1=\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(y_2-y_1 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle x=x_1\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(y_2-y_1 \right)\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(x_1\pm\dfrac{m\left(y_2-y_1 \right)}{n},y_1\pm\dfrac{m\left(x_1-x_2 \right)}{n} \right)\)

That's a very elegant solution Mark.

I did it by "brute" force - equating distances.

Denis,

OP had defined the co-ordinates of A and C. We need to find the co-ordinates of B in that system. Your simplified answer (in the rotated co-ordinate system) needs to be rotated back to the original system.

Lookagain - it is not lookagain!!

Here's another method, using similarity. Consider the following diagram:

View attachment 3095

We know then that:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\left|y-y_1 \right|}{m}=\dfrac{\left|x_1-x_2 \right|}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle \left|y-y_1 \right|=\dfrac{m}{n}\left|x_1-x_2 \right|\)

\(\displaystyle y-y_1=\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(x_1-x_2 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle y=y_1\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(x_1-x_2 \right)\)

and:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\left|x-x_1 \right|}{m}=\dfrac{\left|y_2-y_1 \right|}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle \left|x-x_1 \right|=\dfrac{m}{n}\left|y_2-y_1 \right|\)

\(\displaystyle x-x_1=\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(y_2-y_1 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle x=x_1\pm\dfrac{m}{n}\left(y_2-y_1 \right)\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(x_1\pm\dfrac{m\left(y_2-y_1 \right)}{n},y_1\pm\dfrac{m\left(x_1-x_2 \right)}{n} \right)\)

Wow, thats exactly what I needed. thank you! I appreciate the breakdown that really helps. very nice. thank you.