Calculus problem

Samjohn

Hello,
this is a homework problem that I tried to work my way through but did not succeed.
Let f(x) be differentiable function with the properties that f(0)=1, f'(0)=1, and that f(a+b)=f(a)f(b) for all a and b. show that f'(x)=f(x) for all x and deduce that f(x)=e^x. (Hint: use the definition of the derivative of a function f(x)).

Here is what I did:

Doc1.jpg

Last edited:
Let f(x) be differentiable function with the properties that f(0)=1, f'(0)=1, and that f(a+b)=f(a)f(b) for all a and b. show that f'(x)=f(x) for all x and deduce that f(x)=e^x. (Hint: use the definition of the derivative of a function f(x)).

Please share your work with us .

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions of differentiable function

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

How did you get from your first line to your second? How did you get from your second line to your third.

This time, please REPLY with your working, rather than editing the initial post. That way, the rest of us can follow the conversation. Thank you! ;)