How length of sine wave is calculated?

Luk4

Hi!
According to a - site the arc length of the curve y = f(x) from x=a to x=b is given by:

length_ab = Derivative_ab( Sqrt ( 1 + (dy/dx) ^ 2 ) dx)

So, we got a sine wave function which is

y = A * sin (F * x + P) from x=a to x=b

the length of this is

length_sine = Derivative_ab( Sqrt ( 1 + (A * F * cos (F * x)^2 dx)

Example of this is in first link or here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=tell+me+the+arc+length+of+y+=+1.35*sin(0.589x)+from+x+=+0+to+10.67

Now, my question is what is the algorithm to compute length for specified x=a to x=b. For example, let's say:

step 1) set length = 0;
step 2) for x = a to x = b {
increase x by 0.01;
length += derivative(x);
}
step 3) return length;

I have implemented such a function, but it gives me the wrong length according to wolfram. Is it because of the increasing x or wrong derivative function?

Thanks in advance!
Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
According to this site arc length of the curve y = f(x) from x=a to x=b is given by:

length_ab = Integral_a^b( Sqrt ( 1 + (dy/dx) ^ 2 ) dx)

So, we got a sine wave function which is

y = A * sin (F * x + P) from x=a to x=b

the length of this is

length_sine = Integral_a^b( Sqrt ( 1 + (A * F * cos (F * x)^2 dx)

Example of this is in first link or here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=tell+me+the+arc+length+of+y+=+1.35*sin(0.589x)+from+x+=+0+to+10.67

Now, my question is what is the algorithm to compute length for specified x=a to x=b. For example, let's say:

This is a numerical integration routine that is actually a right-hand Rieman sum
step 1) set length = 0;
step 2) for x = a to x = b {
increase x by 0.01;
length += derivative(x);...What are you using for this function?
.......................................Does it include multiplying by 0.01?
}
step 3) return length;

I have implemented such a function, but it gives me the wrong length according to wolfram. Is it because of the increasing x or wrong derivative function?

Thanks in advance!
Regards!
You used the word "derivative" where you should have used "integral" two places above. The proper formula is

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_a^b\left[1 + \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2\right]^{1/2} dx\)

\(\displaystyle y = A\ \sin (F\ x + P) \),.....\(\displaystyle \dfrac{dy}{dx} = A\ F\ \cos(F\ x + P) \)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_a^b\left[1 + A^2\ F^2\ \cos^2(F\ x + P)\right]^{1/2}\ dx \)

Does the procedure you call "derivative" calculate this integrand (including dx)? If so, your numerical method should be close to the true value of the integral.

You used the word "derivative" where you should have used "integral" two places above. The proper formula is

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_a^b\left[1 + \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2\right]^{1/2} dx\)

\(\displaystyle y = A\ \sin (F\ x + P) \),.....\(\displaystyle \dfrac{dy}{dx} = A\ F\ \cos(F\ x + P) \)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_a^b\left[1 + A^2\ F^2\ \cos^2(F\ x + P)\right]^{1/2}\ dx \)

Does the procedure you call "derivative" calculate this integrand (including dx)? If so, your numerical method should be close to the true value of the integral.

First of all I would like to thank You very much for the help & answer! As You noticed I have mistyped "derivative" with "integral", sorry for that. Yes, the procedure called "derivative" look like this:

public double Derivative(double x)
{
return Math.Sqrt(1 + Pow(P * A * Math.Cos(P * x)));
}

But it gives me large number for small x and small values for large x. I think it is because of increasing x hm. I'm stuck on this. Could You give me a hint or something?

Thanks in advance!
Regards!

p.s i have ignored dx because wolfram is saying that d / dx * x = 1 (attachment). Is it right?WolframAlpha--derivative_of_y___1_35_sin_0_589x_2___Result__2013_10_03_0257.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I have found how to fit my sine curve. I have done it by adding delta y between those two vectors into the value of found sine function (blue). However, the sine wave which is now fitted between points is a little bit different (violet). I got a question for all you experts, does it affect the length of sine wave which i found or the length of the original and "moved" curves are the same? Here is the image

krzywe_dopasowane.jpg

Awesome Content!! Thank for providing excellent information. Actually quite helpful data accessible here.