Algebra word problem: Quadratic Equations

angustheboss

[h=1]Hey i need help with this problem:[/h]
Betty and Andrea have been solving systems of equations with one polynomial function of degree two and one linear function. Betty says there must always be two solutions, and Andrea says there will no solution. Using complete sentences, explain how Betty can be correct, how Andrea can be correct, and how they both can be wrong.

Thanks in Advance. :)

Hey i need help with this problem:

Betty and Andrea have been solving systems of equations with one polynomial function of degree two and one linear function. Betty says there must always be two solutions, and Andrea says there will no solution. Using complete sentences, explain how Betty can be correct, how Andrea can be correct, and how they both can be wrong.

Thanks in Advance. :)

What have you tried?

What does the graph of a "polynomial function of degree two" look like? What does the graph of a linear function look like? Sketch some examples for yourself. How many different ways can you sketch the two functions together?

I was wondering what a polynomial function of degree 2 is?
If you've never heard of polynomials or their degrees, I'm thinking you may have been placed in the wrong class. You may want to have a serious heart-to-heart with your academic advisor.