Another Algebra word problem:"The Flip-Flop-Alot Company makes and sells flip-flops."

angustheboss

Another Algebra word problem:"The Flip-Flop-Alot Company makes and sells flip-flops."

[h=1]Hey i need help with this question:[/h]
The Flip-Flop-Alot Company makes and sells flip-flops. They have one linear function that represents the cost of producing flip-flops and another linear function that models how much income they get from those flip-flops. Describe the key features that would determine if these linear functions ever intercepted.

Thanks in Advance :)

Hey i need help with this question:

The Flip-Flop-Alot Company makes and sells flip-flops. They have one linear function that represents the cost of producing flip-flops and another linear function that models how much income they get from those flip-flops. Describe the key features that would determine if these linear functions ever intercepted.

Thanks in Advance :)

What have you tried? What are your thoughts?

You have two linear functions. That means they graph as two straight lines. Think about the equations for straight lines. What must be true about the equations for the lines *not* to intersect each other?

It means there is not solution that is true for both equations.
Right?

That is correct. However, you need to examine the specific parts of the two equations and see what is similar and different about those parts. For example, linear equations can be presented in slope-intercept form. Is there anything significant about either slopes or intercepts in lines that do not intersect???

It means there is not solution that is true for both equations.
Right?

I think what wjm meant was:

What property of each line will determine that those will not intersect?

then conversely:

What property of each line will determine that those will intersect?