Circle packing... maybe?

Maxric

It's been a really long time since I've gone Geometry, but I've come across this in a programming class and I can't remember how to figure it out, even though I know it's relatively simple.

Given the radius (which can be whatever the user desires) how do you figure out what the shaded area is?

It's been a really long time since I've gone Geometry, but I've come across this in a programming class and I can't remember how to figure it out, even though I know it's relatively simple.

Given the radius (which can be whatever the user desires) how do you figure out what the shaded area is?

Your problem statement is incomprehensible. Try again.

Sorry.. it was late

It was late, I even had the picture and just spaced adding it. I also apparently can't remember my password and haven't gotten the email I requested 30 minutes ago, but this is it. Again, sorry. Gray area is what I'm after but I can't even recall and the closest I found in Googling was circle packing, but not finding what the area outside of the circles was.

oops.png

Yep thanks! My thinking was somewhat along those lines but without an example and answer to compare, I couldn't be sure it was right and needed someone to help clarify. Your help is much appreciated.