Puzzle relating to distance and time

DiG

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this puzzle please, I'd love the answer

Two army captains are firing their artillery at each other over a level terrain. Captain Average fires his gun at 45 degrees to the ground at 39.2428 metres per second. Captain Ballistic also fires at 45 degrees to the ground but at 183.847 metres per second.

Assuming that the force of gravity is 10 metres per second, and there is no effect from air resistance, calculate:

i) The distance that Captain Average's shell will travel before it hits the ground. When you round to the closest integer, this will give you ABC.
ii) The time that Captain Ballistic's shell will be in the air. When you round to the closest integer, this answer gives you DE

Many thanks

Can anyone help me with this puzzle please, I'd love the answer

Two army captains are firing their artillery at each other over a level terrain. Captain Average fires his gun at 45 degrees to the ground at 39.2428 metres per second. Captain Ballistic also fires at 45 degrees to the ground but at 183.847 metres per second.

Assuming that the force of gravity is 10 metres per second, and there is no effect from air resistance, calculate:

i) The distance that Captain Average's shell will travel before it hits the ground. When you round to the closest integer, this will give you ABC.
ii) The time that Captain Ballistic's shell will be in the air. When you round to the closest integer, this answer gives you DE

Is this a homework exercise? (You forgot to explain ABC and DE.)

Regardless, what have you tried (or thought about) so far?

Also, please note the phrase highlighted in red above. It contains two errors.

(1) gravity is not really a force (weight is a force which results from gravitational attraction between masses)

(2) units are wrong

Here is a corrected version:

"Assuming that acceleration due to gravity is 10 metres per second per second, and there is no effect from air resistance, calculate:"