Thread: Final step of Integration problem

Final step of Integration problem

Hi I have a question about the final step of an indefinite integral,

Integral of [2/{(x-2)^(4/3)}] I have used u substitution and have come up with -3/[(x-2)^(1/3)] + C however I have a solver that tells me that the answer is -6/[(x-2)^(1/3)] + C. I can't seem to find any reason for the change in numerator from 3 to 6. Is there anyone who could help me out? Maybe its something obvious but I just can't see it.

Thanks,
    Andre

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green225 View Post
    Hi I have a question about the final step of an indefinite integral,

Integral of [2/{(x-2)^(4/3)}] I have used u substitution and have come up with -3/[(x-2)^(1/3)] + C however I have a solver that tells me that the answer is -6/[(x-2)^(1/3)] + C. I can't seem to find any reason for the change in numerator from 3 to 6. Is there anyone who could help me out? Maybe its something obvious but I just can't see it.
    You can use this webpage to check your work.

You can also differentiate the found answer to see how it all works.
    Last edited by pka; 02-15-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    A professor is someone who talks in someone elses sleep
    W.H. Auden

What became of the 2 in the numerator? When you do that u substitution, you have to do something with the 2 in the numerator. It doesn't disappear.
    God once dropped a 2 from the numerator in an integration. The result was the creation of black holes.

Quote Originally Posted by fcabanski View Post
    What became of the 2 in the numerator? When you do that u substitution, you have to do something with the 2 in the numerator. It doesn't disappear.
    God once dropped a 2 from the numerator in an integration. The result was the creation of black holes.
    The 2 in the numerator is just a constant. It's as if you are taking the integral, finding the result, and then multiplying the answer by 2. So if you take your answer that you dot and not multiply it by 2, you get the correct answer.

Capiche?
    "There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't."