Verifying Trigonometric Identities Help

Mystogan

So this is one of my problems for homework and I just keep getting stuck when trying to solve it.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\cos^3(x)\, +\, \sin^3(x)}{\cos(x)\, -\, \cos^2(x)\sin(x)}\, =\, 1\, +\, \tan(x)\)

Basically I start off by taking the 'cosx' out of the denominator so it looks like 'cosx(1-cosxsinx)', but i'm not getting anywhere with it. Could someone tell me if this is the first step I should be taking, and if not, guide me to the first step so I can solve it? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I just keep getting stuck when trying to solve it.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\cos^3(x)\, +\, \sin^3(x)}{\cos(x)\, -\, \cos^2(x)\sin(x)}\, =\, 1\, +\, \tan(x)\)

Basically I start off by....
A description of "basically" what you do does not help us troubleshoot. Kindly please reply with a clear listing of your steps so far. Thank you! ;)

So this is one of my problems for homework and I just keep getting stuck when trying to solve it.

Basically I start off by taking the 'cosx' out of the denominator so it looks like 'cosx(1-cosxsinx)', but i'm not getting anywhere with it. Could someone tell me if this is the first step I should be taking, and if not, guide me to the first step so I can solve it? Thanks

Hint:

a3 + b3 = (a + b)(a2 -a*b + b2)