Construction Geometry

Njabs

Today in class we were learning about "Equidistance, relationships between points and lines, basic constructions" lecturer gave us a task to construct a line that is equidistant from line segments AB and CD. These two line segments, AB and CD were NOT lying parallel, they were sort of skewed, line AB on A endpoint slightly tilted down towards endpoint C. I simply constructed a line segment between these line segments by bisecting them, he said that is rubbish and threw our stuff on dustbin. Kindly tell me how was I supposed solve this problem. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Today in class we were learning about "Equidistance, relationships between points and lines, basic constructions" lecturer gave us a task to construct a line that is equidistant from line segments AB and CD. These two line segments, AB and CD were NOT lying parallel, they were sort of skewed, line AB on A endpoint slightly tilted down towards endpoint C. I simply constructed a line segment between these line segments by bisecting them, he said that is rubbish and threw our stuff on dustbin. Kindly tell me how was I supposed solve this problem. Thanks everyone!

I would extend AB and CD until they meet -- then bisect the angle you created.

Today in class we were learning about "Equidistance, relationships between points and lines, basic constructions"
lecturer gave us a task to construct a line that is equidistant from line segments AB and CD. These two line segments, AB and CD were NOT lying
parallel, they were sort of skewed, line AB on A endpoint slightly tilted down towards endpoint C. I simply constructed a line segment between
these line segments by bisecting them, he said that is rubbish and threw our stuff on dustbin. Kindly tell me how was I supposed solve this problem.
Thanks everyone!

I want your class to get your instructor reprimanded for acting out of line toward the class.
That's abusive behavior. Did anyone video it? I would get your parents involved if this is a
high school course.

Edit: Suppose line segment AB is a leg of a trapezoid, with point A oriented at the top left of the diagram,
and line segment CD is a leg of the same trapezoid, with point B oriented at the top right of the diagram.

Construct the midpoints of AC and BD. Then connect those midpoints using a pencil and a straight edge.

Last edited:
Many thanks

I want your class to get your instructor reprimanded for acting out of line toward the class.
That's abusive behavior. Did anyone video it? I would get your parents involved if this is a
high school course.

Edit: Suppose line segment AB is a leg of a trapezoid, with point A oriented at the top left of the diagram,
and line segment CD is a leg of the same trapezoid, with point B oriented at the top right of the diagram.

Construct the midpoints of AC and BD. Then connect those midpoints using a pencil and a straight edge.

To Bob and Lookagain, thank you guys, I''ll follow your advice. No we did not videorise it, I guess we are afraid you know in my country I am sorry to say it we still have a lot of issues, including Education if you know what I mean. Please keep helping us, you guys are GREAT! God bless!!

Will Give Feedback

high school course.

I cannot thank you guys enough for taking the trouble to assist me, I'' follow your advice and let you know of the outcome. It's a pity our lecturer can be pigheaded sometimes, I''ll give it to one of my fellow-student to go ask him what he thinks. All the best!

high school course.

If AB and CD are not legs of the same trapezoid, this will not work. I didn't see anything in the given to allow us to assume the special case of trapezoid.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: