Finding the Irrational roots of this Equation

-Whiplash-

Hi, I was given the following question and I've been working on it for hours and I have no idea how to solve it due to it having no Rational roots.

Find all possible roots to the nearest tenth for:

6x3+6x2+15x-2=0

Can I get some advice on where to even start? I tried Synthetic Division, long division and factoring but nothing works due to this problem having no Rational roots, it's driving me nuts.

Hi, I was given the following question and I've been working on it for hours and I have no idea how to solve it due to it having no Rational roots.

Find all possible roots to the nearest tenth for:

6x3+6x2+15x-2=0

Can I get some advice on where to even start? I tried Synthetic Division, long division and factoring but nothing works due to this problem having no Rational roots, it's driving me nuts.

The only way I know to estimate real irrational roots of cubics or higher involves numerical analysis. What method/s have you been taught?

Not to "scare you away!", but if you enter your equation in an online-equation-solver,
you'll get these 3 beauties as solution:

solution 1
x = -13*(sqrt(3)*i/2-1/2)/(18*(5*sqrt(35)/36+59/108)^(1/3))+(5*sqrt(35)/36+59/108)^(1/3)*(-sqrt(3)*i/2-1/2)-1/3

solution 2
x = (5*sqrt(35)/36+59/108)^(1/3)*(sqrt(3)*i/2-1/2)-13*(-sqrt(3)*i/2-1/2)/(18*(5*sqrt(35)/36+59/108)^(1/3))-1/3

solution 3
x = (5*sqrt(35)/36+59/108)^(1/3)-13/(18*(5*sqrt(35)/36+59/108)^(1/3))-1/3

In case you didn't know: i means SQRT(-1)

Just pray to the spirit of Isaac Newton that you don't get a similar one on a timed test :rolleyes:

.... Show off..... :grin::grin::grin:

The only way I know to estimate real irrational roots of cubics or higher involves numerical analysis. What method/s have you been taught?

I told you what methods I was taught, none of them work.

I actually know the answers already because I used a graphing calculator, but I have to show your work full points, but whatever then, it's only one question

I told you what methods I was taught, none of them work.

I actually know the answers already because I used a graphing calculator, but I have to show your work full points, but whatever then, it's only one question
None of the methods you've been taught could work, because they don't apply. So I suspect that there is a typo in the exercise. ;)

I got estimates by zooming in on the x-interept (accurate to four places). I called this root R.

I divided the cubic polynomial by x-R, to get a quadratic polynomial with coefficients in decimal form.

The quadratic formula gave me the two Complex roots (and I rounded those the nearest tenth).