Completing table of values

brainfreze27

I am new to this site and this is m first forum post:eek:. I am in desperate need of help with this math problem. I have no idea what to do when there is a number on the left side of the equal sign with the y. Can someone please explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!math help.jpg

Thank you :) but could you explain how to do it because I have more problems like this and
like i said i dont know what to do when there is a number with the y

Choice B is not the correct answer.

Jayshal is wrong.

Last edited:

Substitute in x = -10 and solve for y.

What choices can you eliminate from that?

Sorry it's A
substitute a or b in the formula and to get final result you can move numbers to other side and change sign + to -
y-3=1/2(x+2)
y-3=1/2(-10+2)
y-3=-4
y-3(+3)=-4+3
y=1

do the rest of them like that

Sorry it's A
substitute a or b in the formula and to get final result you can move numbers to other side and change sign + to -
y-3=1/2(x+2)
y-3=1/2(-10+2)
y-3=-4
y-3(+3)=-4+3
y=1

do the rest of them like that
ohh i see what you did there

math.jpg Okay so I used the method you said on this new problem and I have narrowed it down to B or D but how do i figure the x value if I only know Y

I will show you, but then I will leave this thread, and I won't make a promise to come back due to other obligations.

y + 2 = -4(x - 1)

Substitute in y = 2:

2 + 2 = -4(x - 1)

4 = -4(x - 1)

4 = -4x + 4

4 - 4 = -4x + 4 - 4

0 = -4x

0/(-4) = -4x/(-4)

0 = x

or

x = 0

Last edited:
I will show you, but then I will leave this thread, and I won't make a promise to come back due to other obligations.

y + 2 = -4(x - 1)

Substitute in y = 2:

2 + 2 = -4(x - 1)

4 = -4(x - 1)

4 = -4x + 4

4 - 4 = -4x + 4 - 4

0 = -4x

0/(-4) = -4x/(-4)

0 = x

or

x = 0
4 - 4 = -4x + 4 - 4 what did you do here? i dont understand past where you distributed.

Hi brainfreze:

Is this homework? That is, are you taking a beginning algebra class, or is this self-study?

:)

y + 2 = -4(x - 1)

Substitute in y = 2:

2 + 2 = -4(x - 1)

4 = -4(x - 1)
Alternatively, at this point divide both sides by -4:
-1= x- 1 and then add 1 to both sides.

4 = -4x + 4

4 - 4 = -4x + 4 - 4

0 = -4x

0/(-4) = -4x/(-4)

0 = x

or