Help me understand this problem.

SMARTYPANTS

Hello, i just wanted some help on how to answer this type of question, i dont understand what i have to do.
The 37 1/2 & 2 2/3 is what i guessed.
Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 1.58.20 AM.jpg
I also wanted to know how to solve this one because i was only able to get so far before not being sure what to do, and the answer that i was supposed to choose from, i was unable to extrapolate from the equation.
The last step i got to before i did not know what to do further was 15ax-1 divide by 5
Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 1.52.09 AM.jpg
Thank You

Hello, i just wanted some help on how to answer this type of question, i dont understand what i have to do.
View attachment 4192
I also wanted to know how to solve this one because i was only able to get so far before not being sure what to do, and the answer that i was supposed to choose from, i was unable to extrapolate from the equation.
The last step i got to before i did not know what to do further was 15ax-1 divide by 5
View attachment 4193
Thank You

3*a*x = 1/5

Isolate 'x' by didviding both sides with 3*a

3*a*x/(3*a) = 1/[5*3*a]

x = 1/(15*a)

so what is the answer?

look at your answer

View attachment 4192
View attachment 4193
Thank You

Look at the table in front of you and using your finger draw out your guess. You would draw a bridge 16 1/2 inches in length and then make it 37 1/2 inches high. Your bridge looks like a three story hotel, nothing like the shape of the bridge before you ... so .... no way!

Suppose you are looking at the real bridge and need to draw it on paper, unfortunately your paper is too small, way too small, so how do you reduce the drawing to fit on the paper. Real problem, cutting it in half (1/2) won't do , paper still way too small. So what are your options ... try smaller fractions (scaling down), 1/4, 1/8 ... eventually it will fit on the paper.

Wait, the person who created the drawing already figured it out, what did he do? He made 16 1/2 inches represent 44 feet (or 44(12) = 528 inches) . So what is the fraction that reduces 528 inches to 16 1/2 inches?

You might guess 528/ 16.5 = 32 ... whoa ... that mean increasing the drawing 32 time the size of the bridge (scaling up) ... I estimate it won't fit on the paper, wrong fraction. How about the inverse:

16.5/528 = .03125 = 1/32, maybe? so if I proportionally reduce (scale down) the height of the bridge by 1/32 I get:

10 ft = 10(12 inches) = 120 inches, reducing 120 to 1/32 scale is 120(1/32) = 3.75 inches. And that does fit on the paper and if I draw the bridge on the table with my finger (or eye of imagination) it does look about right.