Need help with infinite solutions problem

View attachment 4360

Hello. I could use some help with this problem, number 12. Thanks!

What method/s have you been taught to solve simultaneous equations? Have you been taught Cramer's Rule?

Please share your work with us ...

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

I have never been taught how to solve a problem like this and am not familiar with Cramer's rule. The only thing I have done so far is adding up the two equations to make one.

I have never been taught how to solve a problem like this and am not familiar with Cramer's rule. The only thing I have done so far is adding up the two equations to make one.

Are you saying that you have not been taught ANY method to solve the simultaneous equations - and you have been asked to solve these problems?

It's hard to read the problem statement, from the image. (Please crop your images, before uploading, or simply type the problem statement.)

It looks like a system of two linear equations:

kx - 5y = 8

7x + 5y = 10

In order for such a system to have infinite solutions, both equations must describe the same line. (That is, any of the infinite x,y pairs that satisfy the first line will also satisfy the second line, if they're the same line, right?)

I don't see any value for k that makes the first equation equivalent to the second. Did I copy the given equations correctly?

Here's a similar example system.

kx - 5y = -70

7x + 5y = 10k

Solve each equation for y.

y = (k/5)x - 14

y = (-7/5)x + 2k

In this example, we see that k = -7 leads to infinite solutions because both equations describe the same line when k is -7.

It's hard to read the problem statement, from the image. (Please crop your images, before uploading, or simply type the problem statement.)

It looks like a system of two linear equations:

kx - 5y = 8

7x + 5y = 10

In order for such a system to have infinite solutions, both equations must describe the same line. (That is, any of the infinite x,y pairs that satisfy the first line will also satisfy the second line, if they're the same line, right?)

I don't see any value for k that makes the first equation equivalent to the second. Did I copy the given equations correctly?

Here's a similar example system.

kx - 5y = -70

7x + 5y = 10k

Solve each equation for y.

y = (k/5)x - 14

y = (-7/5)x + 2k

In this example, we see that k = -7 leads to infinite solutions because both equations describe the same line when k is -7.

Thank you!