Complex number question

cosmic

Hi guys,

I'm asked to write the fraction (-6+i)/(-5+6i) as a single simplified complex number in the form of a+bi.

I calculated the answer as 1/61(24+31i)

I would really appreciate if someone could check to see whether it's correct or not.

Thanks in advance. :)

I'm asked to write the fraction (-6+i)/(-5+6i) as a single simplified complex number in the form of a+bi.

Since this is not of the required form, I'm not sure how you're expecting this to be the expected answer...?

Also, aren't you supposed to rationalize denominators? Surely the 24 + 31i shouldn't be in the denominator with the 6...?

Since this is not of the required form, I'm not sure how you're expecting this to be the expected answer...?

Also, aren't you supposed to rationalize denominators? Surely the 24 + 31i shouldn't be in the denominator with the 6...?

Thanks for replying.

1/61(24+31i) is equivalent to 24/61+31i/61 which is of the form a+bi. Sorry I wasn't being clear.

Also to divide complex numbers don't you just multiply the numerator and the denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator?

I just realised that I made a mistake with one of the signs.

The answer I get now is 36/61+31i/61

Is that any good?

Learn this identity: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle\frac{1}{z} = \frac{{\overline z }}{{{{\left| z \right|}^2}}}\).

Using it: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle\frac{1}{{ - 5 + 6i}} = \frac{{ - 5 - 6i}}{{25 + 36}}\) so that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle\frac{{ - 6 + i}}{{ - 5 + 6i}} = \frac{{\left( { - 6 + i} \right)\left( { - 5 - 6i} \right)}}{{61}}\)

Learn this identity: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle\frac{1}{z} = \frac{{\overline z }}{{{{\left| z \right|}^2}}}\).

Using it: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle\frac{1}{{ - 5 + 6i}} = \frac{{ - 5 - 6i}}{{25 + 36}}\) so that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle\frac{{ - 6 + i}}{{ - 5 + 6i}} = \frac{{\left( { - 6 + i} \right)\left( { - 5 - 6i} \right)}}{{61}}\)

Thanks Pka that's really useful. The identity I used is similar but I managed to mix the signs up initially. :oops:

I just realised that I made a mistake with one of the signs.

The answer I get now is 36/61+31i/61 <------- You don't have the "b" separate and to the left of "i" in the a + bi form.

Is that any good?

It's almost there.

In horizontal form, this would count:

36/61 + (31/61)i

Or, you could have this in a vertical form:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{36}{61} + \dfrac{31}{61}i\)

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate if someone could check to see whether it's correct or not.

Thanks in advance. :)

Assuming you meant
(1/61)(24+31i)
then you should re-write it with a=24/61 and b=31/64. As far as being correct otherwise, I believe you may have incorrectly multiplied -6i and i

Well spit - maybe I should read every thing there before I say what has been said before. oh well, I'll blame it on my blindness right :)

Last edited: