"College" Algebra Question

ka4461

Hello, I have a question regarding this question. This is quite embarrassing to ask, but my online homework thing doesn't like the answers I'm giving.

I had to simplify a complex rational expression and my answer was: x/x+3 (which the homework thing said it was right). Now it's asking me to submit the numbers where x cannot be a certain number - that makes it undefined.

Now I inputted -3, but it said it was wrong so are there any other numbers that makes it undefined?

Thanks!

Hello, I have a question regarding this question. This is quite embarrassing to ask, but my online homework thing doesn't like the answers I'm giving.

I had to simplify a complex rational expression and my answer was: x/x+3 (which the homework thing said it was right). Now it's asking me to submit the numbers where x cannot be a certain number - that makes it undefined.

Now I inputted -3, but it said it was wrong so are there any other numbers that makes it undefined?

Thanks!

For the first part of the problem (simplification), your answer should have been x/(x+3). Those () are very important - otherwise your answer reduces to 4. So your "homework thingy" is a bit erratic to say the least.

That being said, x/(x+3) is = ∞ at only at x = -3. It is defined everywhere else.