can't remember the simple equation

stayinschoolkids

I know there is an equation to figure out how to evenly divide numbers by a whole number. basically my issue is i need an equation that allows to me figure out evenly divide ammunition expended between a number of weapons fired the most evenly .

Expended rounds-177
weapons fired -20

any help is extremely appreciated thank you

p.s. math is definitely a diminishing skill, and you never stop using it!

I know there is an equation to figure out how to evenly divide numbers by a whole number. basically my issue is i need an equation that allows to me figure out evenly divide ammunition expended between a number of weapons fired the most evenly .

Expended rounds-177
weapons fired -20

any help is extremely appreciated thank you

p.s. math is definitely a diminishing skill, and you never stop using it!

If each weapon fired 89 rounds (round off 177 divided by 20) then 178 rounds would have been used.

i can't round off.... i need a break down of how many weapons fired how many rounds to equal 177 and there are a total of 20 weapons fired

so basdically i'm looking for an equation that will give me a break down like this

18 weapons fired 9 rounds
1 weapon fired 8 rounds
1 weapon fired 7 rounds

OK - if the number of rounds fired by each weapon only have to be approximately the same, then first do the division
177/20 = 8.85
Now round up to 9 and do the multiplication, i.e. 20 * 9 = 180 which is 3 over what you need. So subtract 1 from three of the weapons, i.e.
Weapon 1 - 8 rounds
Weapon 2 - 8 rounds
Weapon 3 - 8 rounds
Weapon 4 - 9 rounds
Weapon 5 - 9 rounds
Weapon 20 - 9 rounds
which is a total of 177 rounds.

You could have also rounded down 8, then 20 * 8 = 160 so you would need to add a round to 17 of the weapons (which is actually the same as above).

You understand, do you not, that there may be many different ways to allocate the integer values? There is no one "correct" solution to a problem like this.

You understand, do you not, that there may be many different ways to allocate the integer values? There is no one "correct" solution to a problem like this.

In general you're correct but the problem had attached to it a "figure out evenly divide ammunition expended between a number of weapons fired the most evenly." That most evenly would, IMO, limit the number of solutions quite a bit depending on just exactly what was meant. If what was meant was "the difference in rounds expended by any two weapons is no more than one" then the solution is, I believe, unique in the sense that weapons are interchangeable, i.e. Weapon 1 expended 17 rounds and Weapon 2 expended 18 rounds is considered the same as Weapon 1 expended 18 rounds and Weapon 2 expended 17 rounds..