Conics question

GeorgeJBrooks

I came across this question on Conics and I literally have no clue where to start, if someone could help that'd be great!

The matrix form of a polynomial can be written as xTA x + B x + f, where xT = (x,y), A is a 2x2 matrix and B is a 1x2 matrix.

Determine the coefficient matrix A for the following polynomial\;

-4 x2 -16 xy + 3 y2 + 2 x + 6 y - 45.​

I came across this question on Conics and I literally have no clue where to start, if someone could help that'd be great!

The matrix form of a polynomial can be written as xTA x + B x + f, where xT = (x,y), A is a 2x2 matrix and B is a 1x2 matrix.

-4 x2 -16 xy + 3 y2 + 2 x + 6 y - 45.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

-4 x2 -16 xy + 3 y2 + 2 x + 6 y - 45.

Please note that it should be "The matrix form of a general quadratic polynomial can be written as ..."

Where is the "equals zero" coming from? Don't create new equations; just do the multiplication to come up with the new expressions. ;)
So I just get:
[ax+by]
[cx+dy] ? Think the zeros are because they're what i was doing on the precious questions (Sorry for slow replies have been working all day the last couple of days)

So I just get:
[ax+by]
[cx+dy] ? Think the zeros are because they're what i was doing on the precious questions (Sorry for slow replies have been working all day the last couple of days)

That is just the second two parts, i.e.
you have done
[a b] (x)
[c d] (y)

You now need to do the second part
(x y) [ax+by]
.......[cx+dy]
where the .... is just to (hopefully) get it spaced correctly

That is just the second two parts, i.e.
you have done
[a b] (x)
[c d] (y)

You now need to do the second part
(x y) [ax+by]
.......[cx+dy]
where the .... is just to (hopefully) get it spaced correctly

x(ax+by)+y(cx+dy)

-4 x2 -16 xy + 3 y2 + 2 x + 6 y - 45.​

Now put those values to define A and B and f.