post COUNTS going AWOL?

stapel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only noticed this issue because I'd replied to a question, but then the question was reposted. Despite the original and second postings both being displayed (and now merged into one thread), the "posts" number under the poster's handle was "1", which is clearly wrong.

Puzzled, I checked the topic listing, and saw that there were "0" replies to the poster's other question. But I remembered having replied to that question. Sure enough, when I checked that thread, my reply was still there. But the poster's "Posts" count was now "0". Which is even more wrong.

Is this a wide-spread issue that I'd just never noticed before, or is this a new thing, or maybe even localized to the one poster?

Thank you! ;)

I noticed the icon for "moderated posts" on the topic listing for each of the two threads. So I went into the Moderator dashboard and found that these threads had been set aside for moderation. I've "validated" the various posts, so the poster's questions and all the replies are now being counted (and displayed). However, this lead me to ask why the questions would have needed to be moderated in the first place. How were they tagged for moderation?

Thank you! ;)

Post counts are not updated dynamically.

The v-Bulletin software itself can flag posts for moderation. I could not find a listing of any criterion used (eg: suspicious words or phrases). Whatever the v-Bulletin developers were thinking, it's not perfect. Sometimes, it seems like all it takes to be flagged is the presence of an URL or LaTex.

Post counts are not updated dynamically.

The v-Bulletin software itself can flag posts for moderation. I could not find a listing of any criterion used (eg: suspicious words or phrases). Whatever the v-Bulletin developers were thinking, it's not perfect. Sometimes, it seems like all it takes to be flagged is the presence of an URL or LaTex.

I realize that this is a hi-jack, but.
The greatest gift you could give regulars is a button for LaTeX wraps.

The greatest gift you could give regulars is a button for LaTeX wraps.

I hear ya! We used to have a button for those tags, but it went away when the site switched to a third-party for rendering LaTex here.

I don't know whether a fix is available; moderators have very limited access to system resources at the v-Bulletin support sites, and Ted never got back to me when I asked about a work-around.

(Does your device -- or software -- have any feature for pasting a pre-stored character string? My touchpad does, but I've got my e-mail address stored there, instead.)