Finding the equation to a total of percentages

johnnyenglish

Hello there,

im looking to find the equation of the total of percentages.

the total of percentages is 197%
and the percentages that were added in some equation to equal that are:
•70%
•50%
•35%

i have tried many equations to try and solve it and find out how they have calculated it to 197%,
but I have had no luck :(

i I would appreciate the help and would appreciate it a lot if anyone could help me figure out how they accumulated a total percentage of 197% from those 3 percentages provided,

thanks

Just as another Tip,

the same equation is also used for the following to calculate up to a total of 500%
so these three percentages somehow make up 500%
•250%
•50%
•50%

the thing is that it is also meant to use exactly the same equation as the one I mentioned above.
i don't know if this helps you or not to help me,
but I hope it helps, as I would really love to know the equation.

thanks,

Hello there,

im looking to find the equation of the total of percentages.

the total of percentages is 197%
and the percentages that were added in some equation to equal that are:
•70%
•50%
•35%

i have tried many equations to try and solve it and find out how they have calculated it to 197%,
but I have had no luck :(

i I would appreciate the help and would appreciate it a lot if anyone could help me figure out how they accumulated a total percentage of 197% from those 3 percentages provided,

thanks
I suspect something is missing. What are the percentages of? For example suppose Able, Bill, and Chuck each had the following percentage of cucumbers which Dan had
Able: 70%
Bill: 50%
Chuck: 35%
and Eric had 127.1% more than the combined amount of Able, Bill, and Chuck. How much did Eric have expressed as a percentage of the amount Dan had?

Well, the combined amount of Able, Bill, and Chuck is 155% of what Dan has. Since Eric has 127.1% more than that, Eric has 1.271 * 155% = 197.0% of what Dan has.

I suspect something is missing. What are the percentages of? For example suppose Able, Bill, and Chuck each had the following percentage of cucumbers which Dan had
Able: 70%
Bill: 50%
Chuck: 35%
and Eric had 127.1% more than the combined amount of Able, Bill, and Chuck. How much did Eric have expressed as a percentage of the amount Dan had?

Well, the combined amount of Able, Bill, and Chuck is 155% of what Dan has. Since Eric has 127.1% more than that, Eric has 1.271 * 155% = 197.0% of what Dan has.

That's the thing, nothing is missing!
meant to find the equation and its meant to work to find both total percentages with the three percentages provided,
First total percentage is 197% (T)
using:
•50% (B)
•35% (S)
•70% (P)
second Total percentage is 500%
using:
•50% (B)
•250% (P)
•50% (S)

they are both seperate, but are meant to be using the same equation to get the total percentage using the 3 input percentages.

The closest I got was:
T=(P*B)+(P*S)+P
500 = (250*0.5)+(250*0.5)+250
But then that does not work for the next equation... So I'm not quite sure.

Last edited:
Johnny, can you not post the ORIGINAL problem IN FULL?

this is mostly it :/

Section 1:

Use the following percentages to work out the equation for T = 197%
B which equals 50%
S which equals 35%
P which equals 75%

The same equation must also work for:
T = 250%
Using:
B= 50%
S= 35%
P= 70%

------------
so, just to clear things up the equations is meant to work and be the same equation for both!
B is always the same, 50% where as the others change in each equation and other examples given.
but the other examples don't have the total percentage, because you are meant to use the equation you find afterwards to solve T using the other letters (values), but that is section 2 of the question.

Last edited:
Would this work
T = a B + b S + c P
where a, b, and c satisfy
197 = 50 a + 35 b + 70 c
500 = 50 a + 50 b + 250 c
If so, pick a value for c and let
b = 20.2 - 12 c
a = -10.2 + 7 c

Of course, this is just one of the many infinite forms the solution could take on.