silly question about the 4 table

Steven G

Elite Member
I am just wondering what you think is the correct answer or even if there is one answer.
My 4th grade daughter had a homework problem which asked her to write out the first five numbers on the 4 times table. She wrote 4, 8, 12, 16, 20. I told her to write 0, 4, 8, 12, 16. Her teacher agreed with her. Is there a definite answer to this question?

I am just wondering what you think is the correct answer or even if there is one answer.
My 4th grade daughter had a homework problem which asked her to write out the first five numbers on the 4 times table. She wrote 4, 8, 12, 16, 20. I told her to write 0, 4, 8, 12, 16. Her teacher agreed with her. Is there a definite answer to this question?
Why not tell her to list \(\displaystyle -8,~-4,~0,~4,~8~?\)
Fourth grade? Do they know about zero?
People in 1 c.e. did not know they had skipped from 1 bc.e to 1 c.e. because they did not know zero.

That's the trouble with the C, C+, ... programmers lately, they think counters start at zero, i.e.
for(i=0, i<k, i++){...}
instead of the more clean old time FORTRAN programmers who knew what they were doing and started at 1, i.e.
DO 10 I = 1,N
10 CONTINUE

See what it leads to, a times table with a zero in it! (Other than possibly at the end of a digit (string) where it belongs.)

Here I come to save the day!
1st 5 numbers of the "4 table":
1 x 4 = 4
2 x 4
:cool:
Geez, this is what I get when I ask for help! I surely will not ask you to find x (you'll point to the symbol x)

I knew that there was a reason I thought that the times tables should be taught to start with 0 but could not figure out why until now. My 4th grade daughter is now learning basic division, like 9/4 is 2R1. My daughter was doing fairly well with these problems until I asked her to compute 7/9 and 2/5, which she said could not be done. I believe students would have a better chance solving these problems if they would consider the number 0 in their times table.

I knew that there was a reason I thought that the times tables should be taught to start with 0 but could not figure out why until now. My 4th grade daughter is now learning basic division, like 9/4 is 2R1. My daughter was doing fairly well with these problems until I asked her to compute 7/9 and 2/5, which she said could not be done. I believe students would have a better chance solving these problems if they would consider the number 0 in their times table.

A very good reason, I just might even join the C programmers on this one.

Geez, this is what I get when I ask for help! I surely will not ask you to find x (you'll point to the symbol x)
But Denis did, in fact, answer the question you asked. You asked if the "fours" (multiplication) table should start with "0" or "1" and he answered with an example starting at "1".

But Denis did, in fact, answer the question you asked. You asked if the "fours" (multiplication) table should start with "0" or "1" and he answered with an example starting at "1".
Please do yourself a favor and never consider any responses that Denis makes. If I was not trying to be polite I would suggest that you just do not read his posts at all.

Please do yourself a favor and never consider any responses that Denis makes. If I was not trying to be polite I would suggest that you just do not read his posts at all.
I think you do not understand Denis' sense of humor (which, I admit, is a bit strange). I will not stop reading his responses as they are sometimes quite good (as Oscar Wilde said, when asked if he had enjoyed the egg he had just been served, "Madam, parts of it were excellent"). As I pointed out, he did answer your question.

Ahhh geesh Halls...yo so nice...where do I send your 5 bucks?:rolleyes:

Can't tell if you're serious Jomo...if so, may I suggest you stop walking
around as if balancing an invisible object on your nose :cool:
Balancing an Invisible object on my nose? I am still trying to find that black cat that isn't there.