Simple Algebra Query

hakim

Hey all, so I NEED to know if i've solved this correctly:

Q3. 2/3(9 -3x +2y) - (y/3 -x/4 +0.5)4

my workings:

= 6 -2x + 4y/3 - 4y/3 -4x +2
= 8 - 6x

I feel I have the right answer, but this is the only way to check it. A simple yes or no would be cool ;)

Cheers.

PS. I'm new to this forum, so hi!

my workings:

= 8 - 6x

I feel I have the right answer, but this is the only way to check it. A simple yes or no would be cool ;)

Cheers.

Hi hakim,

Welcome to the forum. See above in red, you got a value and sign wrong. BTW: I think
(2/3)(9 -3x +2y) - (y/3 -x/4 +0.5)4
would have been a little more clear.

EDIT: One way to check that you answer might be right is to put in a couple of values to see if you get the same answer at the beginning and end. If you let x=y=0, then at the beginning you have 4 but that is not what you have at the end. If that had worked out, you also should have tried something like x=1 and y=0 and maybe x=0 and y=1

Last edited:

my workings:

= 8 - 6x

Cheers.

Welcome! Distribute the subtraction symbol and get 6 -2x + 4y/3 - 4y/3 +x -2
You might want to multiply by 4 before dealing with the subtraction sign. 2/3(9 -3x +2y) - (y/3 -x/4 +0.5)= 2/3(9 -3x +2y) - (4y/3 -x + 2)
You can always check to confirm that you are wrong by plugging in values for x and y in the original equation and in your result to see if they match. If you let x and y both be 0 you would see that your answer is wrong.

Last edited:

my workings:

= 8 - 6x

Cheers.

Thanks guy. Made a silly mistake and forgot to treat all the second brackets as a negative...

Easy.