Help with a few word problems

xwanderlustx

Hello everyone. I'm new here and need help with some problems. They are the following.

--The selling price of a refrigerator is $843.70 If the markup is 10% of the dealer's cost, what is the dealer's cost of the refrigerator?

--A company wants to increase the 30% peroxide content of its product by adding pure peroxide (100% peroxide). If x liters of pure peroxide are added to 500 liters of its 30% solution, the concentration C of the new mixture is given by the formula below. How many liters of pure peroxide should be added to produce a new product that is 44% peroxide? Formula: C= x+0.3(500)/x+500

I'm struggling with setting up the problems mainly. Thanks in advance!

I'm struggling with setting up the problems mainly. Thanks in advance!
To learn how to translate word problems into algebra, try here. To learn how to set up and solve percentage exercises, try here. To learn how to set up and solve mixture exercises, try here.

--The selling price of a refrigerator is $843.70 If the markup is 10% of the dealer's cost, what is the dealer's cost of the refrigerator?
selling price: 843.7
cost: C
10% of cost: 0.1C
markup: 0.1C

Now use the fact that the selling price is the sum of the dealer's cost and the dealer's markup to create a linear equation. Then solve that equation.

--A company wants to increase the 30% peroxide content of its product by adding pure peroxide (100% peroxide). If x liters of pure peroxide are added to 500 liters of its 30% solution, the concentration C of the new mixture is given by the formula below. How many liters of pure peroxide should be added to produce a new product that is 44% peroxide? Formula: C= x+0.3(500)/x+500
You are given a formula which you are told gives the concentration C. You are told that the concentration is C = 0.44. You are told to solve for x. So you plugged the value for C into the formula for C, and... then what? Where are you stuck in the solution process?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

If that was your formula! It probably was but what you wrote would normally be interpreted as x+ (150/x)+ 500. Denis is assuming that what you meant was (x+ 150)/(x+ 500). Use parentheses to make your meaning clear!