Algebra word problem

NoGoodAtMath

I'm having trouble answering this question.

The smallest angle of a triangle is half as big as the middle angle. The largest angle is five times more than twice the middle angle. What are the measures of the angles?

This is what I did. I drew a triangle, I put 5x as the hypotenuse, 2x as the longer leg and 2.5x as the shorter leg. I was thinking this question looked like the Pythagorean Theorem.
Is this correct? If not, where did I go wrong. Thanks.

The smallest angle of a triangle is half as big as the middle angle. The largest angle is five times more than twice the middle angle. What are the measures of the angles?

This is what I did. I drew a triangle, I put 5x as the hypotenuse, 2x as the longer leg and 2.5x as the shorter leg. I was thinking this question looked like the Pythagorean Theorem.
No, it is not Pythagorean Theorem. Let s be the smallest angle, m be the middle angle, and b be the biggest angle. Now we know that, since this is a triangle,
s + m + b = 180
The smallest is half as big as the middle angle is the same as the middle is twice as big as the smallest so we also have
m = 2 s
The largest (biggest) angle is five times more than twice the middle angle is
b = 2 m + 5

So now you have three (linear) equations in three unknowns which you should be able to solve.

You use the pythagorean theorem when you have a triangle with a 90 degree angle. Not all triangles have a 90 degree angle.