What am I suppossed to do with a one to one function?

abel muroi

I was told to find f-1(7) if f(2) = 7

umm... im not sure how to start here, i assume that this is similar to a exponential function right?

umm... im not sure how to start here, i assume that this is similar to a exponential function right?
On what basis have you assumed that the inverse of every function, regardless of the type of function, will be exponential?

The inverse of a logarithmic function is exponential, but are you sure that this is true of every other sort of function? For instance, when you found the inverse, in your homework or in class, of a straight-line function, wasn't the inverse also a straight line, rather than an exponential? ;)

If (x, y) is an ordered pair in a one-to-one function, then the INVERSE of that ordered pair is (y, x).

As an example, if we have a one-to-one function f in which f(4) = -2, we know that the ordered pair (4, -2) is an element of f, and that the ordered pair (-2, 4) is an element of f-1. f-1(-2) = 4

If (x, y) is an ordered pair in a one-to-one function, then the INVERSE of that ordered pair is (y, x).

As an example, if we have a one-to-one function f in which f(4) = -2, we know that the ordered pair (4, -2) is an element of f, and that the ordered pair (-2, 4) is an element of f-1. f-1(-2) = 4
So the ordered pair (2,7) belongs to f. What does this say about the second element of an ordered pair for f-1 if the first element is 7?