Use Systems of Linear Equations in Applications

NoGoodAtMath

Devon invested $8000 in three different mutual funds. A fund containing large cap stocks made 6.2% return in 1 yr. A real estate fund lost 13.5% in 1 yr, and a large cap stock fund was twice the amount invested in the real estate fund. If Devon had a net return of $66 across all investments, how much did he invest in each fund?

I'm supposed to set this up as a system of linear equations. How do I set this up?

Devon invested $8000 in three different mutual funds. A fund containing large cap stocks made 6.2% return in 1 yr. A real estate fund lost 13.5% in 1 yr, and a large cap stock fund was twice the amount invested in the real estate fund. If Devon had a net return of $66 across all investments, how much did he invest in each fund?

I'm supposed to set this up as a system of linear equations. How do I set this up?
You are asked for amounts invested in each of three funds. So pick variables to represent the amounts in each of the three funds.

You are given information about the total of those three investments. Create an equation, in terms of those three variables, for the total invested.

You are given information about the value of one of the large-cap funds with respect to the real-estate fund. Create an equation, in terms of the appropriate two variables, for this relationship.

You are given information about the return (or loss) rates for two of the investments. Are you given no information about the third investment? If not then, without this information, I don't think you can get any further than the two equations you already have, and thus you cannot proceed any further toward a solution. Sorry. :oops: