Bounded derivative

SemperFi

How can I show that if a twice continuously differentiable function f:R->R and its second derivative f'' are bounded, the first derivative f' must also be bounded?
It's easy to imagine, but how to prove?

Thank you for your help!

How can I show that if a twice continuously differentiable function f:R->R and its second derivative f'' are bounded, the first derivative f' must also be bounded?

Thank you for your help!

What is the definition of a bounded function?

What about \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2+x+1~?\)

...if a twice continuously differentiable function f:R->R and its second derivative f'' are bounded...
What about \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2+x+1~?\)
I could be misreading (or misunderstanding) things, but I think both the original function f(x) and also the second derivative are to be bounded. I don't think a quadratic would qualify. ;)

What is the definition of a bounded function?

A function is bounded if there is a real K, such that |f(x)|<K for all real x.

I could be misreading (or misunderstanding) things, but I think both the original function f(x) and also the second derivative are to be bounded. I don't think a quadratic would qualify. ;)

You are right. Both, the original function f and the second derivative are bounded.

Can you use something similar to #19 here?

Last edited:
Thank you, this is a great approach!
The above comment is in reference to work assigned to a fourth year/first year graduate course at Georgia Tech.
But from my point of view, it was posted in a forum dedicated to undergraduate calculus. I know an advanced underrate/graduate question when I see one. I knew that this was a standard measure theory question. But as a calculus question about a function with an unbounded domain, it made no sense. Given its placement, I read it in the only way possible to make sense of it.

I ask all of you, why do you expect us to do otherwise ? Why not require posting in a correct forum?