Cryptic Royal Charlotte

Otis

Elite Member
Could be nude brit wins huge fans (4, 8)

One 'e'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In an interview with Seth Meyers, actress Anna Kendrick said, "I don't know why anybody cares about the royal baby. It's a baby. It hasn't done anything. It hasn't achieved anything. It was just born. It just looks like every baby. All babies look like sacks of potatoes!"

:lol:

My delight just crashed and burned. :shock:

Now dat crypt will haunt my zees ...

I've tried :-? (may be something new to me)

'nuther hint, please

Oops, didn't see that. Thanks, Denis. :)

Here's one I made earlier. :rolleyes:

Funny bone, by the sound of it (8)​

No no no!

Oh, of course. I was thinking that 'funny bone' was the direct. Good grief.

(I would like to blame Denis' spelling for my gaffe, but I fell over by myself.)

:oops:

For a cryptic clue to be unambiguous, the word to be "homophoned" is always the one closest to the homophone indicator; in this case it's bone, so funny is the definition. Had I wanted the answer to be HUMERUS I would have written the clue as

Sounds like funny bone (7)​

In this case funny is closest to the homophone indicator and so it's the word to be "homophoned", leaving bone as the definition.

The following two examples (both by yours truly :rolleyes:) should make it clear.

Bent grass, by the sound of it (3) – answer: WRY
Sounds like bent grass (3) – answer: RYE​

IBEX?

That would be EX = "was from" but why IB = "prime rib"? :confused:

Wow! Never thought you could use "prime" in this way. Nice!

For a cryptic clue to be unambiguous, the word to be "homophoned" is always the one closest to the homophone indicator; in this case it's bone, so funny is the definition. Had I wanted the answer to be HUMERUS I would have written the clue as
Sounds like funny bone (7)​

In this case funny is closest to the homophone indicator and so it's the word to be "homophoned", leaving bone as the definition.

The following two examples (both by yours truly :rolleyes:) should make it clear.
Bent grass, by the sound of it (3) – answer: WRY
Sounds like bent grass (3) – answer: RYE​

Bent = Wry

Who knew? :D Is that like a frown is a bent face (wry expression)? Tricky...

"Wry" just means that an object is out of shape, i.e. bent or twisted.

Your next mission:
Popeye, a cartoon character (7) big clue: no "z" in answer :rolleyes:
Hopefully I'll get it this time ... :roll:

'Nuther "hint" for Limax :D

Buddy loves initially kicking ass -- makes a lousy athlete (7)

No wonder I'm stumped – never heard of that character before. :( I must be from another planet...