Cylinder Radius? Given Area and Height.

ekxcvi

Area of a cylinder is 2m squared.
Height of cylinder is 0.8m.
Determine diameter of cylinder given the formula for the area of a cylinder.

Check solution by substituting the calculated value into original equation and justify your answer choices.

Check solution by substituting the calculated value into original equation and justify your answer choices.

What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

I'm having problems as I started this question a while back, and since I have come back to it weeks later I cannot pickup from where I left it at.

I have used the quadratic formula and retrieved two numbers which are:

I am confused as to what I should do to move on, hence posting this thread. :)

I'm having problems as I started this question a while back, and since I have come back to it weeks later I cannot pickup from where I left it at.

I have used the quadratic formula and retrieved two numbers which are:

I am confused as to what I should do to move on, hence posting this thread. :)
In talking about the area of a cylinder, I assume you are talking the walls of the cylinder excluding the base and top. So what is the formula for that area? Possibly one way to in-vision it is to 'cut the cylinder' straight down one side and unwrap it and lay it flat so that it is a rectangle. The heigth of the rectangle is the heigth of the cylinder and length of the rectangle is just the distance around the cylinder, i.e the circumference of the circle. The area is just the height times the width which will give you a formula for the radius (or the diameter=2r, which is what you are asked for).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to help you when we do not know what you've done. Knowing only that you did something with something and ended up with something somehow at some point, we are unable to assist. Sorry.

Please re-attempt the exercise, starting at the beginning. If you bog down again, please reply showing what you did and how far you got. When you reply, please clarify what you mean by the "area" of the cylinder. Presumably, this is the surface area, but it might be the cross-sectional area, or the surface area only of the sides (assuming no "caps" on the ends).

Thank you! ;)