maths exercise with functions

gwenshann

Hi! I am new on this forum :)

I need help with a maths exercise about functions please!

Here is my exercise:

We study a company that sells computers. We know that P(x) is the cost price of x computers for on day, x being a number between 2 and 60. We are given this: P(x) = x*x - 8x + 160. We also have the price of one computer: $200. How do I work out the daily profit if all computers are sold?

Please help me I'm really stuck here!

Hi! I am new on this forum :)

I need help with a maths exercise about functions please!

Here is my exercise:

We study a company that sells computers. We know that P(x) is the cost price of x computers for on day, x being a number between 2 and 60. We are given this: P(x) = x*x - 8x + 160. We also have the price of one computer: $200. How do I work out the daily profit if all computers are sold?

Please help me I'm really stuck here!
What have you tried so far? Volunteers will help you with your problem but will not do it for you.
In my opinion your question is not clear. What is the $200 for? Is that what computers are sold for or is that the price that the company pays for a computer? Is P(x) what the company sells x computers for?

We study a company that sells computers. We know that P(x) is the cost price of x computers for on day...
Is there maybe a typo here? If not, then what is the meaning of "for on day"?

...x being a number between 2 and 60. We are given this: P(x) = x*x - 8x + 160. We also have the price of one computer: $200. How do I work out the daily profit if all computers are sold?
Is this exercise being translated from another language? If not, it's very poorly written. I think the following is what is meant:

Let P(x) = x2 - 8x + 160 represent the cost of producing x computers per day, with 2 < x < 60. (That is, the company produces only two to sixty computers in an entire day.) Let $200 be the selling price of each computer. Assuming that every computer produced in a day is also sold, what function represents the daily profit?
If my guess is correct, then consider:

a) Assuming "x" computers are made, what expression stands for the cost of producing those "x" computers? (Hint: Copy from the exercise.)
b) What is the selling price for one computer? (Hint: Copy from the exercise.)
c) Assuming "x" computers are sold, what expression stands for the total income from those computers? (Hint: Multiply.)
d) What is the relationship between cost, income (or "revenue"), and profit? (Check your book.)
e) Then what expression stands for a day's profit? (Hint: Subtract.)
f) Then what function stands for a day's profit? (Hint: Set the expression equal to a function name.)

If you get stuck (or if I guessed the meaning wrong), please write back with specifics. Thank you! ;)