algebra: Sanket earns twice as much in the month of March as in each of the other mon

diksha

Sanket earns twice as much in the month of March as in each of the other months of the year. What part of his entire annual earnings was earned in March ?

A. 17
B. 16
C. 211
D. 213
[FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sanket earns twice as much in the month of March as in each of the other months of the year. What part of his entire annual earnings was earned in March ?
A.
[FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]7[/FONT]​
B.
[FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]6[/FONT]​
C.
[FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]11[/FONT]​
D.
[FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]13[/FONT]​
What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

If a regular (that is, a non-March) month is one "part" of his annual earnings, how many parts are there in the non-March portion of the year? How many parts does March have? So how many parts in all? What percentage is March's parts of the total?

Note: Unless you are given (in information not included in your post) a value for the annual earnings, there is no way to arrive at the numerical values in your answer-option listing. You'd have to find a fraction or percentage, given only what you've provided. ;)

A. 17
B. 16
C. 211
D. 213

I don't know if I'm the only one seeing the answers as single numbers but it does seem to me that, the way the question is worded, they should be expressed as ratios, i.e. something like
A. 1:7
B. 1:6
C. 2:11
D. 2:13

or percentages like 16%, 17% etc. (I am also seeing those as single numbers on the screen)

However, your interpretation is more probable (then the answer is exactly one of the given ratios)