No idea how to solve this. Frustrated

RJ_1996

This actually really frustrated me. I'm probably an 'average' math student. And this word problem is really difficult, which makes me reconsider myself even being 'average' at math.

If someone can solve this by showing there work, I'd seriously greatly appreciate it. This allows me to look at what you did and how you got your answer.

Here's the word problem.

"Batman has been thrown into an airtight cell by the Arkham Knight!

He has two tools that will cut through the six inch thick metal walls off the cell. Batman needs to cut through to reach fresh air before he suffocates.

The explosive gel blasts through the metal at a rate of 3cm/blast, But burns oxygen at a rate of 112,000 CC/Blast.
It takes 28 seconds to spray, arm and detonate an explosive gel blast.

The blowtorch cuts through the metal at a rate of 1cm/minute, but burns oxygen at a rate of 37.06 Litres/minute.

Batman takes up a space of 0.094m^3 and has reduced his breathing to consume oxygen at a rate of 5 litres/minute.

Which tool should Batman use to escape? "

This actually really frustrated me

cut through the six inch thick metal walls How many walls need to be cut?

consume oxygen at a rate of 5 litres/minute Did they provide the volume of oxygen at time zero?

Which tool should Batman use This implies that Batman cannot use a combination of both tools.

to reach fresh air...

to escape... Escape requires a bigger hole than reaching fresh air. Please clarify.

Hi. Is this homework?

Did your frustration arise from trying some things? Please post your thoughts.

Seems like an optimization exercise, to me.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited: