a veclocity and acceleration problem

deeaveragestan

the questions: a ball is thrown upward with initial velocity v0 cm/s and reaches a maximum heigh of h m. how high would it have gone if its initial velocity was 2vo? how fast must it be thrown upward to achieve a maximum heigh of 2h m?

how would you approach this question in a calculus way?
i figured out the answers are (first part :4h) (second part:sqrt root of 2) simply just by pluggin in numbers, and using physics equations,
but i would really wanna know the calculus way of doin this. please and thank you

the questions: a ball is thrown upward with initial velocity v0 cm/s and reaches a maximum heigh of h m. how high would it have gone if its initial velocity was 2vo? how fast must it be thrown upward to achieve a maximum heigh of 2h m?

how would you approach this question in a calculus way?
i figured out the answers are (first part :4h) (second part:sqrt root of 2) simply just by pluggin in numbers, and using physics equations,
but i would really wanna know the calculus way of doin this. please and thank you
A relative extrema (min or max) for a function is when the derivative of that function is zero [assuming a continuous differentiable function of course].

Since the velocity is the derivative of the distance, the min/max of the distance occurs if the velocity is zero. Since the second derivative of the distance (the acceleration) under these circumstances is negative, the min/max is a max.

Thus, under the usual conditions, an initial velocity of v0 gives
v(t) = v0 - g t
d(t) = v0 t - \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) g t2
since d is the integral of v and we assume a starting height of zero. So, find the time where the velocity is zero and use that time to find the maximum height h in terms of v0 and g.

Now write the same equations in terms of an initial velocity v1=2v0. Since you know the formula for the maximum height in terms of the initial velocity and g, just substitute 2v0 for v1 to get h1 in terms of h. Similarly with the other question.