Half of my life with wife

kglarsen1984

I'm really bad at math, so I'd like you guys to help me with this math problem: When have I been with my wife for half of my life?

I was born on december 14. 1984
I first met my wife on 31. may 2002

On which date have we been together for half of my life?
I want to make some kind of special celebration on that day.

Thanks in advance!

I'm really bad at math, so I'd like you guys to help me with this math problem: When have I been with my wife for half of my life?

Generally, this sort of exercise only requires one to work in terms of years; it's quite unusual that you're being asked to do this in terms of actual days. Do the instructions state whether or not you have to take account of leap years? Because that makes things much more messy (and is why I've never before seen this sort of word problem use anything other than merely years).

To start, I think you'd do best to find the number of days between your birth and the meeting date. In particular, note the number of leap years. You can multiply 365 by the number of years from 14 December 1984 through 13 December 2001. Add 1 for each leap year in that interval (excepting 1984, of course). Then find the number of days from 14 December 2001 to 31 May 2002.

Once you have the number of days from birth to meeting, you can then find that number of days since meeting, which will be the desired target date. Use the same sort of procedure to get started, multiplying 365 times the number of whole years, etc, etc.

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work and reasoning so far. Thank you! ;)

Thanks in advance!
Using a spread sheet program [the 6377 is the number of days between dates]:
December 14, 1984
May 31, 20026377
November 15, 20196377

No matter your skills at mathematics there are many resources on the web.
Look at this.

Use that same site. Type in "date 6377 days from 5/31/2002" ENTER

Last edited: