meat weighs ~190g and is 17% bone; how much meat to add?

poteg11

From this thread:

The meat weighs ~190g. It contains 17% bone. I need to add more meat to reduce the bone to 10%. How much meat do I add?
334.339g (plus 22.371g more of bone:D)

I still dont get this sorry. I thought this was a proportion question.

I tried to do it this way:

190/ 17 = X/ 10. Then I solved for X by (190/17) * 10 which gave me 111.8. What did I do wrong? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
From this thread:

The meat weighs ~190g. It contains 17% bone. I need to add more meat to reduce the bone to 10%. How much meat do I add?
334.339g (plus 22.371g more of bone:grin:)

I still dont get this sorry. I thought this was a proportion question.

I tried to do it this way:

190/ 17 = X/ 10. Then I solved for X by (190/17) * 10 which gave me 111.8. What did I do wrong? Thanks
What was your reasoning? What is the meaning of your proposed ratios and proportion? You appear to be stating that seventeen percent is to 190 pounds of mixture as ten percent is to X pounds of mixture. But the whole point is that you are changing the mixture. The new mixture is exactly and precisely not in the same proportions as the original mixture!

If you don't want to use the simple fractional set-up explained in (this) reply to that thread, then try using proportions that make sense, such as:

. . . . .bone : mix = b : 190 = 17: 100

(Obviously, the above uses the helpful variable "b" to stand for "the amount, in grams, of bone".)

Solve for the grams of bone. You want this amount to be only ten percent of the mix, so you know you'll be adding some amount of pure meat. Use a helpful variable such as "m" to stand for the amount to be added. Then set up a sensible and logical proportion, in the manner displayed above. Solve for the value of the variable.

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work and reasoning. Thank you! ;)