Converting volumes per hectare

Tyler90

Hello Everyone,

Could anyone inform me how to convert my measurements to m3 per hectare. I have gathered the volume of deadwood pieces that intersect a 50 meter transect line. The equation produces a total volume of deadwood for the transect in meters cubed. How do i convert this number to meters cubed per hectare? Also if I have for an area 10 total volumes (10 transect line totals in meters cubed) how would i find the total volume meters cubed per hectare for all 10?

Any help as fast as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

Could anyone inform me how to convert my measurements to m3 per hectare. I have gathered the volume of deadwood pieces that intersect a 50 meter transect line. The equation produces a total volume of deadwood for the transect in meters cubed. How do i convert this number to meters cubed per hectare? Also if I have for an area 10 total volumes (10 transect line totals in meters cubed) how would i find the total volume meters cubed per hectare for all 10?

Any help as fast as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Since hectare is an area (10 000 m2 or about 2.5 acres), you need an area instead of just the (transect) line. So how far to either side of the line do you count deadwood pieces. Suppose it were 5 m wide (2.5 m on each side of the transect line or 5 meters on just one side), the transect line was 50 m long and the amount reported was 10 m3 of deadwood. Then the area is 5 * 50 = 250 m2 or 0.025 hectares and you would have
\(\displaystyle \frac{10\, m^3}{0.025\, hectare}\, =\, \frac{400\, m^3}{hectare}\) = 40 m3 of deadwood per hectare.