Logs? Find the initial temperature of the soda and its temperature after 18 minutes

MelMoral

A can of soda is placed inside a cooler. As the soda cools, its temperature T (x) in degrees Celsius is given by the following exponential function, where x is the number of minutes since the can was placed in the cooler:

. . . . .T (x) = -20 + 36e-0.03x

Find the initial temperature of the soda and its temperature after 18 minutes.
Round your answers to the nearest degree as necessary.

-- I imagine that you would use logs somehow? It has been a long time since I have taken a math class, and I would like to know how to start the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
A can of soda is placed inside a cooler. As the soda cools, its temperature T (x) in degrees Celsius is given by the following exponential function, where x is the number of minutes since the can was placed in the cooler:

-- I imagine that you would use logs somehow? It has been a long time since I have taken a math class, and I would like to know how to start the problem

Find the initial temperature of the soda → T (x) = -20 + 36e-0.03x → T(0) = -20 + 36e-0.03*0 = ??

and its temperature after 18 minutes → T (18) = -20 + 36e-0.03*18 = ??

Last edited by a moderator:

-- I imagine that you would use logs somehow?

How did you arrive at that conclusion? You plugged the given value of the variable into the given formula, simplified to find the value of the temperature T, and... then what? At what point did you imagine that logarithms came into play?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)