Graphing linear equations when the x & y are missing

suzb

Hi,

I know that y=mx+b. I am attempting to solve equations and am doing fine with the ones with an x and a y. But now I am coming across equations like a+b=2. How do these equations get graphed?

Thank you

Hi,

I know that y=mx+b. I am attempting to solve equations and am doing fine with the ones with an x and a y. But now I am coming across equations like a+b=2. How do these equations get graphed?

Thank you

Depends on context of the question. Convert a+b =2 → x + y = 2

where x → a and y → b

Now plot it!!

Depends on context of the question. Convert a+b =2 → x + y = 2

where x → a and y → b

Now plot it!!

Y=-X+2?

So it's just a matter of replacing the letters? There is also some V+W=4 and similar. Thank you for helping. I help my son with his math homework and although some of this comes back to me, sometimes I need a push in the right direction

Y= -X + 2? ..... Correct

So it's just a matter of replacing the letters? There is also some V+W=4 and similar. Thank you for helping. I help my son with his math homework and although some of this comes back to me, sometimes I need a push in the right direction

Hi,

Thank you

If you are dealing with a coordinate system for your graph which has x-values located on the HORIZONTAL axis, and y-values located on the VERTICAL axis, then the equation of a line, in slope intercept form, is

y = mx + b

If you label the HORIZONTAL axis as "a" and the VERTICAL axis as "b", then the equation of a line would be

b = m*a + (b-intercept)

I guess my point is that the variables don't have to be "x" and "y".....they can be any two letters you choose. The quantity you chose to place on the horizontal axis will be like "x", and the quantity you display on the vertical axis will be like "y".

I hope this makes some sense to you.