Probability that this accountant has MBA degree or >= 5yrs prof. exp. but not both?

boydog

Probability that this accountant has MBA degree or >= 5yrs prof. exp. but not both?

Hi!

I have having some problems with the following question:
In a large accounting firm, the proportion of accountants with MBA degree and at least five years of professional experience is 75% as large as the proportion of accountants with no MBA degree and less than five years of professional experience. Furthermore, 35% of the accountants in this firm have MBA degrees, and 45% have fewer than five years of professional experience. If one of the firm's accountant is seledcted at random, what is the probability that this accountant has an MBA degree or at least five years of professional experience but not both?

I do not understand what the part "the proportion of accountants with MBA degree and at least five years of professional experience is 75% as large as the proportion of accountants with no MBA degree and less than five years of professional experience." means.

Kind Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I have having some problems with the following question:
In a large accounting firm, the proportion of accountants with MBA degree and at least five years of professional experience is 75% as large as the proportion of accountants with no MBA degree and less than five years of professional experience. Furthermore, 35% of the accountants in this firm have MBA degrees, and 45% have fewer than five years of professional experience. If one of the firm's accountant is seledcted at random, what is the probability that this accountant has an MBA degree or at least five years of professional experience but not both?

I do not understand what the part "the proportion of accountants with MBA degree and at least five years of professional experience is 75% as large as the proportion of accountants with no MBA degree and less than five years of professional experience." means.

Kind Regards

In the firm there are 4 groups:

accountants with no MBA and 5- years of experience = a %

accountants with MBA and 5+ years of experience = b %

accountants with no MBA and 5+ years of experience = c %

accountants with MBA and 5- years of experience = d %

a + b + c + d = 100

the proportion of accountants with MBA degree and at least five years of professional experience = 0.75 * (the proportion of accountants with no MBA degree and less than five years of professional experience) → b = 0.75 * a

and continue....

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Last edited by a moderator:
In the firm there are 4 groups:

accountants with no MBA and 5- years of experience = a %

accountants with MBA and 5+ years of experience = b %

accountants with no MBA and 5+ years of experience = c %

accountants with MBA and 5- years of experience = d %

a + b + c + d = 100

the proportion of accountants with MBA degree and at least five years of professional experience = 0.75 * (the proportion of accountants with no MBA degree and less than five years of professional experience) → b = 0.75 * a

Hi!

Thank you so much, i now understand what the 75% as large means.

So now I form three equations:
(1) a + 0.75a + c + d = 100
(2) 0.75a + d = 35
(3) a + d = 45

And i then go on and solve.

To do this, we have supposed the number of accountants to be 100. Is it possible to solve the question without doing this? Say in terms of probabilities?