Intersection of two curves on x/y plane

imamushroom

Hi,

I have two curves (I do not know the formulas for the curves as they are constantly changing over time, however at any given moment of time they are static for a defined period of time during which I want to perform the calculations below) on an X/Y plane. I know a large number of static historical x and y points for both curves, x being time (so points are relative to one another, the current point being 0, historical points are negative whole numbers, future values are positive). There's is little variation between the y values of the curves.

I would like find out how I can calculate:

a) the slope of both curves at x point 0
b) the angle of intersection between the two curves when the two curves intersect with one another
c) the value of x (positive umber) at the point of intersection

I hope I've made myself clear. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

I have two curves (I do not know the formulas for the curves as they are constantly changing over time, however at any given moment of time they are static for a defined period of time during which I want to perform the calculations below) on an X/Y plane. I know a large number of static historical x and y points for both curves, x being time (so points are relative to one another, the current point being 0, historical points are negative whole numbers, future values are positive). There's is little variation between the y values of the curves.

I would like find out how I can calculate:

a) the slope of both curves at x point 0
b) the angle of intersection between the two curves when the two curves intersect with one another
c) the value of x (positive umber) at the point of intersection

I hope I've made myself clear. Thanks in advance for your help.
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Hi,

I'm stuck from the beginning I'm afraid.

I know I need calculus to calculate the slope but I don't know how to do that without the formula for the curve. I know I need to use Arctan for the angle but the rest I'm stuck with.

I'm an adult with some degree of maths knowledge (basic calculus and geometry) but haven't used it in many years so have forgotten most of it.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, and any supplemental information, such as graphs or data sets. Thank you! ;)