Calculus Project help appreciated

squirtlesquad

Hi, I'm taking calculus this semester and my professor assigned the class a take home project hooray. I'm having a hard time starting this so any and all help would greatly be appreciated. The project is to

Give a detailed solution to the problem posed below, introducing variables, as needed and appropriate expositiondescribing what you are doing and why, using diagrams and graphs, etc.1 A Greenhouse Extension

Your parents are going to knock out the bottom of the entire length of the south wall of their houseand turn it into a greenhouse by replacing some bottom portion of the wall by a huge sloped piece of glass(which is expensive). They have already decided they are going to spend a certain fixed amount. Thetriangular ends of the greenhouse will be made of various materials they already have lying around.The floor space in the greenhouse is only considered usable if they can both stand up in it, so part ofit will be unusable, but they don’t know how much. Of, course this depends on how they configure thegreenhouse. They want to choose the dimensions of the greenhouse to get the most usable floor space init, but they are at a real loss to know what the dimensions should be and how much usable space theywill get. Fortunately they know you are taking calculus. Amaze them.

I am having a hard time starting the project. The goal is to find a formula on how to optimize usable floor space in the green house since at some point the height of the slanted glass will be too low for some one to walk. However I'm not sure what variables are constant an which ones I need to add. so far my train of thinking is If the amount of money for the glass is fixed then so is the size of the glass that can be bought. If that is the case then buying the biggest piece of glass allowable would be the way to maximize usable floor space. But then would this really be a problem since the answer would just be buy a the most glass you can? I'll attach a document with some stuff i jotted down along with a little diagram i made of the green house. Please help i need a starting point.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Image (14).jpg
    Image (14).jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi, I'm taking calculus this semester and my professor assigned the class a take home project hooray. I'm having a hard time starting this so any and all help would greatly be appreciated. The project is to

Give a detailed solution to the problem posed below, introducing variables, as needed and appropriate expositiondescribing what you are doing and why, using diagrams and graphs, etc.1 A Greenhouse Extension

Your parents are going to knock out the bottom of the entire length of the south wall of their houseand turn it into a greenhouse by replacing some bottom portion of the wall by a huge sloped piece of glass(which is expensive). They have already decided they are going to spend a certain fixed amount. Thetriangular ends of the greenhouse will be made of various materials they already have lying around.The floor space in the greenhouse is only considered usable if they can both stand up in it, so part ofit will be unusable, but they don’t know how much. Of, course this depends on how they configure thegreenhouse. They want to choose the dimensions of the greenhouse to get the most usable floor space init, but they are at a real loss to know what the dimensions should be and how much usable space theywill get. Fortunately they know you are taking calculus. Amaze them.

I am having a hard time starting the project. The goal is to find a formula on how to optimize usable floor space in the green house since at some point the height of the slanted glass will be too low for some one to walk. However I'm not sure what variables are constant an which ones I need to add. so far my train of thinking is If the amount of money for the glass is fixed then so is the size of the glass that can be bought. If that is the case then buying the biggest piece of glass allowable would be the way to maximize usable floor space. But then would this really be a problem since the answer would just be buy a the most glass you can? I'll attach a document with some stuff i jotted down along with a little diagram i made of the green house. Please help i need a starting point.

attachment.php

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

If they're using only the "bottom portion" of the wall, then I think you can't assume that they'll be using the entire height. You'll have to treat the height as being variable, too.

It should be noted that the angle (which I'll call "@" for "theta") can be related to the depth (the distance from the wall to where the glass sheet meets the ground) and the height (of the bottom portion of the wall) by using the tangent ratio.

Do they give you any information regarding the heights of the two homeowners? Thank you! ;)

Thank you for responding

If they're using only the "bottom portion" of the wall, then I think you can't assume that they'll be using the entire height. You'll have to treat the height as being variable, too.

It should be noted that the angle (which I'll call "@" for "theta") can be related to the depth (the distance from the wall to where the glass sheet meets the ground) and the height (of the bottom portion of the wall) by using the tangent ratio.

Do they give you any information regarding the heights of the two homeowners? Thank you! ;)

No mention of the home owners height but i'm assuming that is another constant I am given. I know I can use similar triangles and the Pythagorean theorem as tools. I am calling the hypotenuse G since it is glass The height of knocked out wall H and the height considered usable H1 the bottom and the ground B for the segment from the wall to H1 and B+x for the whole length. I know i have to get the function of the area A=W*B which i'm calling W for the width of the glass which is a constant and B for the segment usable. so far I have

So the function to be optimized is A=W*B

G^2=H^2 + (B+x)^2

I used proportionality to get H1/H=x/(B+x)

=(H1B)/(H-H1) and I can plug that back in for x from here is where i am getting pretty lost once again any help thanks a bunck