Cooking with Fractions

StephenP

I am a dad with a 5th grader and it has been decades since I have done this kind of math, so any help would be appreciated. Here is the word problem:

Pauline's gumbo recipe calls for 3/4 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning for one batch. If Pauline wants to make 10 1/4 batches of gumbo, how many tablespoons of Cajun seasoning will she need? How many batches of gumbo could she make with 20 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning?

I am a dad with a 5th grader and it has been decades since I have done this kind of math, so any help would be appreciated.
Is the fifth-grader the student with the question? If so, it would be helpful for us to be able to speak directly with your child, as attempting to "speak" through a "translator" who doesn't "know the language" is, in my experience, doomed to failure.

Here is the word problem:

Pauline's gumbo recipe calls for 3/4 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning for one batch. If Pauline wants to make 10 1/4 batches of gumbo, how many tablespoons of Cajun seasoning will she need? How many batches of gumbo could she make with 20 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning?
Since this was posted to "Pre-Algebra", I'll assume that the student is not supposed to apply algebra to this exercise.

Think about this with simpler numbers:

If she were making two batches, how many tablespoons (Tbs) would she need? What mathematical operation did you use to find that value?

If she were making three batches, how many tablespoons (Tbs) would she need? What mathematical operation did you use to find that value?

If she were making six batches, how many tablespoons (Tbs) would she need? What mathematical operation did you use to find that value?

Continue until you can see what operation you need to apply to the original exercise. ;)

Thank you for all the help. It has been a long time since I have had to work with fractions. I looked up a few youtube videos on adding/subtracting fractions. With that knowledge and your help we were able to complete the problem. Thanks!