Help with decimal quadratic equation.

Pur3decided

Hi all, thanks in advance for the help.

My issue is I need to factorise x^2 + 19.4x - 376.75 = 0

The question is to solve the equation and then check your answer using 2 different methods. I solved it originally using the formula, then checked my answer using the perfect square method. Now the problem is I need to use another method to check my answer again.

Is factorising the best way? Or is there another way I'm missing (we can't use the graph method)

Thanks again

Hi, this post may have duplicated since I've posted something similar and it hasn't shown up.

The problem is x^2 + 19.4x - 376.75 = 0

x = 11.99 btw

The question is, I have to solve the equation and check my answer twice using 2 different methods.

I solved the equation with the formula, and checked my answer using the perfect square method.
I'm having issues factorising because of the decimals. Is there an alternative way that isn't factorising?

Thanks in advance :)

The question is to solve the equation and then check your answer using 2 different methods. I solved it originally using the formula, then checked my answer using the perfect square method. Now the problem is I need to use another method to check my answer again.

Is factorising the best way? Or is there another way I'm missing (we can't use the graph method)

Thanks again

The answers (roots) are irrational numbers here. So the numerical answers are approximate without having sqr. root involved. So you can use numerical method (e.g. Newton-Raphson iteration) to check your answers.

Thanks again

Another way is to do away with the decimals although I'm not sure that is what is meant by another way. If you multiply the equation by 100 you get
100 x2 + 1940 x - 37675 = 0